"BOOT ERROR". Stages and Thoughts.

Hi, everyone! Couple days ago I’ve posted this video:

This is my first public animated project. Whole video is done in stock Blender 2.77, and main glitchy-light-projection sequence done in the “Animation Nodes” addon. So here is some steps of how it was done.

In first place there was main sequence that was rendered in OpenGL mode. This allowed me to get rendered edges of meshes and nice alpha on background. Paired with instant render this allowed me to make full 870 frames sequence in 2048x2048 size in 15 minutes.

This sequnce was distorted in compositing with this gem on youtube:

After that I’m started to modelling scene. To show that this is not flat texture but actual light, I’ve added materials with different roughness parameters and volumetric “dust” with volume scatter material. Geometry on different height should emphasize it as well. There was couple of awkward moments with camera rigs, since light do not appears in viewport even with new GLSL mode, added in 2.78.

So I’ve rigged them in scene with actual animation and then appended to final scene. Whole rig is just movement along splines, but different interpolations between keyframes gives nice and smooth results.

I have really outdated hardware, so final render takes a lot of time. Process was started on 2.77 and on a half way 2.78 was out. New version optimisations allowed me to start rendering on GPU, but at this time gives a bit different result with same options.

Overall I’ve done many things that I’ve never done before that and this was quite an expirience.

Woow, so impressive. And thank you very much for the Credit! That looks like a huge amount of nodes and work in general. Good Job!

Would love to to know about this project and how you got started using Animation Nodes.
Oh and if you could share some more screenshots, awesooome :smiley:

Thanks you, Jacques! I really feel that your awesome addon don’t have enough attention. I’ve started to work on this (although there was no concept at beginning and main though was to create “UI-thing”) 1.5 month ago. 2 weeks of this time was rendering. I have really outdated hardware, so before 2.78 came out I can’t even use GPU rendering.

Main reason to use Animation Nodes was urge to find alternative in Blender for Xpresso from Cinema4D. I’ve got luck to work with it and it awesome MoGraph and Xpresso modules. Google gives me the AN, and it really is! Well, now there is lack of some nodes, but I’m sure it is only matter of time. (I’ve already seen new fallout workflow, didn’t try myself, but fell in love right after video demonstration :))

Aww, I had hoped that you might have made the VHS tape error with material nodes or compositing nodes :frowning:

Nice results tho.

I’ve actually never thought about creating glitches with actual shader. Now I’d definetly want to take a shot at this. And thank you.

hehe well I think you succeeded to create an “UI-thing” :smiley:
Oh that is a lot of rendering, but yeah, I can imagine that it takes quite long using older hardware and cpu only… Personally I also render on CPU because my GPU is actually slower xD

Glad you found Animation Nodes, if you have any feedback on existing nodes/concepts or if you have ideas please share them. On github in a new Issue or so. I cannot promise to implement it right now but more input from people who actually use the addon is always helpful!