When do you think we will see a major UI change?

I know this is been discussed out and in, but when do you think we will see a major UI change?
Is there any plan for a rearrangement or a total rewrite of the UI, like Crytek did on their new Cryengine V?

Why is a ‘major’ UI change required ?

Yes, I was going to write that. I understand a longtime Blender user might dont need it. But I hope Blender will get a total customized UI sometime in the future :slight_smile:

I hope NOT.

Blender 2.8 will likely bring in a bunch of UI changes and improvements compared to 2.78, but a total customizable UI is not going to come as well.

Blenders’ UI is actually a lot more intuitive in many areas than much of the commercial software, like maya. I have been working daily in maya+mari+arnold+nuke for one and a half years now, and blender vs these have their strong and weak points.
What Blender needs is consistency between the tools, which is often missing.

As a semi-professional artist working in Blender I am definitely not into getting a complete UI change. Definitely not.

because it is not intuitive. to learn blender you must have some documentation, you cannot figure it out on your own, learn on your own. you just have to know to click the H key then the D key then ctrl=a…etc.

i would go so far to say that any program one MUST get outside information, like it’s manual, is a poorly designed program.

it true that documentation, books and videos help a lot, it is not absolutely required, one could find out and figure out how to do what they want on their own.

access to blenders tools and features is mostly arbitrary. nothing can ever lead you to realizing ctrl+P is for parenting a mesh to an armature. it has to be told to you.

i would pay to have the UI TOTALLY overhauled.

On the issue of remembering hotkeys, the menu entries for the tools often have the name of their respective hotkey to the right of the name (so you can first find them through the menus or spacebar search and learn the keys that way).

Also regarding the manual, there’s been a lot of work in making it more complete in the last few months and as such has far more information now (if the complaint is the fact that it’s not a part of the Blender app. itself, keep in mind that most applications keep theirs online now with the benefit being the ability for the user to always have the latest version).

And in what other 3D software you can intuitively become an expert without reading documentation?
The other day I almost died trying to import an .obj in ZBrush.

I do not understand. Most of these things can be accessed from the menus or SpaceBar Key Seach function.

I agree that many things can be improved in UI, like Tool Shelf tabs and organization. But overall I think Blender UI it is fantastic.

ZBrush is that kind of black voodoo magic that is not meant to be understood - you just have to learn to use it :slight_smile:

As for any kind kind of critique - you should ultimately not criticize a software by comparing it to others, it is true that Blender is quite un-intuitive in many areas since all 3D softwares shares the same un-intuitiveness in those areas, that does not mean it cannot be re-imagined, the question is if it is worth it (and most of the time it’s not)
No reason to re-invent the wheel.

Cryengine looks mostly the same to me with echos from the Far Cry Sandbox / Editor still evident. Read they were going to a QT base to shed constraints to Windows OS.

There’ll always be some prior knowledge required. Literacy for reading & interpreting textual GUI components, familiarity with icons, or virtual tools even, and how to manipulate them effectively with peripherals. That’s just for the basic functions.

Go to the parenting example, still a simple thing. It helps to know of this concept and why you might do this. Should Blender run you through some example how to do it? How would you make make parenting intuitive to learn as a concept? How would you make finding / accessing the feature more intuitive?

If you have prior knowledge of 3D DCC jargon spacebar search is your friend.

Throw enough cash at BF/BI to make proposals palatable and who knows what might eventuate.