Can I crease with Verts instead of Edges ?

I have run into a problem that I dont know how to fix.
I am looking for a smooth transition from a vert with 100% crease at 1 end and zero at the other but I can only crease with edges and so it looks wrong.

Please see attached pic.

If im going about this wrong please let me know.

I know i could do with with 2 extra edge lines but Ive been watching videos on OpenSubDiv and extra loops for rounding isnt supposed to be needed now, just creases.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

I know that I could recreate this with 2 edges going on angles but I was hoping to avoid this because OpenSubDiv is supposed to do it for me.

Thats not possible at the moment. But with OpenSubDiv it should be possible somehow in future.

cheers. I did a test with 10 edge segments going from 100% to 0% crease and the interpolation was not linear… more exponential.

After some more tests I have to say I wasnt pleased with the bevelling it produced unless the object was subdived 8 times. There are still shading errors. I think what I am really looking for is adaptive opensubdiv.
So for the moment I will stick to normal anchoring loops.

Sometimes it helps to extrude vertices away from your mesh to get some extra sharp subdiv detail in corners. This vertices and edges are not rendered but in some special cases it is usesful to define your mesh. Thats not helpful for creases you try to do but maybe a little thing i figured out you could use for other things.

cheers :wink:

cool. thanks for the tip