Ik rig handle stretch

Once you add IK constraints to the model and set up all the pole targets and all that good stuff, how do you keep the IK handle bone from stretching the mesh? I know you have to parent the IK handle bone to keep it from stretching, but doing that just messes up the IK constraint. Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks.

When you’re building the rig, BEFORE you assign automatic weights(if that’s what you’re doing) you need to shut off “deform” in the properties of bones that shouldn’t effect the mesh.

I think that’s what your asking??? If not, post a link to your .blend file to show what the problem is.

Might help to show us what you are talking about. Can you put in a blend file or at least a picture of what you are having trouble with?

Sorry for the confusing question- the mesh stretches when I pull the IK handle too far. What do I do to fix this?

Attachments

What I’m talking about is when you move an IK constrainted handle bone foot/hand past it’s limit and it disconnects from its forearm/shin and the mesh stretches. How do I keep the IK handle bone connected when I am posing it? It works with auto IK because the handle bone’s parented but when I apply a IK constraint the bone stretches.

Here’s the .blend file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0P6KdJKKw_pVkJvT21hWWlvN1E/view?usp=sharing