[cycles] making grass blades evenly lit with nodes

Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum? Anyway, I’ve got some grass blade particles that look like this:

When rendered they look like this (though there will be more particles in final, and they will go further into the distance):

I want them to look really soft (almost painterly), so they are not casting shadows and I have them textured so that the fade to full alpha at the top and bottom, and are half alpha in the middle.

My problem is with the dark ones, which are obviously dark because they are facing away from the sun. I wouldn’t actually mind them but when I turn on particle children, you get these big areas of light grass and big areas of dark grass which looks unnatural.

I was wondering if there is a way using nodes (or some other way) to make them less affected by the sun direction so all the blades are more homogenous colour-wise?

Thanks in advance.

Actually just by chance I tried swapping my diffuse node with an ambient occlusion node and it actually works pretty well for the effect I’m trying to achieve. So thanks, I think I fixed it!

Try adding diffuse and translucency shader.