Preparation before path tracing takes long

I hope this is the correct subforum, otherwise it would be nice if any mod could move it.

I have an issue and are unsure if it’s possible to improve the render times.

I’m trying to render a complex floor made of tiles, i got 4x6 tiles (2x3m).
The render itself takes about 25-30min, but the path tracing part does only take 10-15min of it. The rest is Building BVH, Updating shaders, Etc.
Is there any way to speed this up?

Each tile is split in 4 and added 10 levels of subsurf. The render needs about 60gb of RAM but it’s needed, i would actually have wanted 11 levels but that would require about 240-250gb of ram i guess.

Sure it’s fine if i were only planning to make one image but now i need to do this for about 150 color and pattern combinations + rotated 90 degrees, and those from 3 different angles, and with possibly 3 different lightning conditions.
which sums up to about 2500 images or so.

If i somehow could lower the time of the time pre-path-tracing it would be great. Like render all angles and lightning conditions before it needs to change any textures and therefore update shaders. and as long i don’t change the bumpmap i should’nt need to update the displacement either.
If i’m in viewport mode it does not need any time to update when changing camera angles or lightning

I’ve only uploaded the blend file since the textures and bumps etc are huge.

Attachments

Tile Final 65deg.blend (1.99 MB)

Check your light paths settings, probably out of whack for what you need. Use GPU if you can (yikes, probably not), and check what goes on in performance tab as well (persistent images might help, but didn’t check). I won’t bother hitting the render button as I suspect it would set my PC on fire :slight_smile:

For pure (solid) color variations, you might be able to achieve this in post rather than a full render. If doing as much as 2500 renders, this might be worthwhile spending time on (if it applies, hard to tell without seeing the actual tiles).

I’m not great at optimizing, hoping somebody else will add (or correct) what I’ve said.

Haha, i doubt i’ll find a GPU with 64gb of RAM :stuck_out_tongue:
I have for the moment not done anything with light paths, do they really make much difference when it prepares the scene for rendering?
And there is only two or three light sources in the scene (i might not need the 3rd source).

Sadly i would say that changing colors in post would not be worthwile since i would not be able to automate that process.
But what could i do to optimise the light paths?

Thank you!

Well, you only need half a dozen quadroplex 7000’s - not sure if they could be utilized that way though :smiley:
I didn’t try rendering it, and I don’t know if there would be a difference. Don’t have it open right now but iirc caustics and bouncing was enabled which I think is a bit over the top for tiles. Given you wanted 11 subdivs, I take it there is no other way to reduce this requirement (too many emboss variations etc?).

Will the new Adaptive Sub Divisions help and you can play around with the dicing rate?