Blender makes PC run so laggy

When I use viewport render mode, my pc is so laggy I can’t even use chrome, edit settings within blender, open programs, etc. It’s just so terribly slow. Even changing tabs in chrome takes awhile with it on. My scene is simple, no animation. 75 mem usage, 36k faces. Literally just a bottle of soap and some lights.

Specs:
Blender 2.78
EVGA GTX 1080
Intel i5 6600
32GB Ballistix DDR4 RAM
A-DATA 500GB SSD (running blender)
2TB 7200 RPM storage drive

Hi.
If you are referring to while you render with GPU, it is a well known issue and that is why people often have two GPU’s, one good GPU for rendering and the other medium/low range GPU to handling the display.
You have a HD 530 iGPU. Set in BIOS iGPU as primary display, connect the monitor to the motherboard and install the intel graphics drivers to uses intel iGPU to handle the display while you use the nvidia CUDA to render.

I have 2 monitors and my motherboard doesn’t have Mini Display port to install them. What could I do?

Are you running Windows? My motherboard DVD came with an utility called Lucid Virtu for Windows. Perhaps with this you can connect the displays to nvidia cards while iGPU does the job?. I do not know, I use Linux. Research about it.
Also I’m not sure if what Lucid Virtu does on Windows, in Linux works by default.

Another option would be if you have an extra PCIe slot in motherboard, buy one (even used/second hand) cheap graphics card that meets your monitors needs/connectors. But keep in mind that this second nvidia GPU should not be a very old technology (not using legacy drivers) so you can use the same version of the new driver.

Edit:
It seems that Lucid Virtu is just for games and intel Quick Sync

I have a R9 280X from my old computer. Could I use that? It’s AMD

Really I do not know. I do not know if one of the drivers could intentionally block the other or something like that.
But I think I remember reading people doing Cycles/OpenCL tests with ATI and nVidia at the same time. You do a little research on Google. Or you could do the test. Connect your ATI, configure ATI as primary display in BIOS (maybe also enabling Multi GPU), and install the driver.

Regarding the lag that you observe. As I had said before, it is normal that the system becomes laggy when render, but just a bit laggy in viewport render. An extreme lag as you mention only occurs with very heavy scenes. Do you notice the problem with the same intensity in any scene, for example BMW27.blend scene? Perhaps are you using Branched Path Tracing?

The lag has been present in all scenes I’ve worked with other than default cube. I recently “upgraded” from a 27" iMac (2012) and it was actually faster than my new computer with 32GB DDR4, SSD, GTX 1080 and i5 6600 is. My other computer at home with AMD 8350, 16GB DDR3 and GTX 1070 is faster than this too. I’ve never had trouble with the whole computer being so laggy during viewport render that it’s unusable.

Edit: Also, using CPU for rendering is much faster than GPU. An i5 6600 is somehow faster than my GTX 1080. What gives.

Could you try latest builds from buildbot?
https://builder.blender.org/download/

How to know if is this is a problem with nvidia driver, the OS (I think you have not said yet what the OS is), or hardware?

I think you should start testing for rule out a problem with your hardware. If you are in Windows 10, do a clean installation of Windows 7 or Linux in other partition and try the card there. Or try installing the nvidia card in different computer

If you still have problems, report this to:
https://developer.blender.org/

Using Windows 10 and have tried the latest build with no change in performance. I don’t understand what the problem could be, the GTX 1080 should be eating up basic scenes like this.

Ok, you must be the only one who has not had improvements in Pascal cards with recent blender builds. You should really find a way to rule out hardware problems , OS or drivers on this new PC.
You could swap the 1070 and 1080 on your different machines for testing.

You try to contact some user with 1080 card and ask if they are having these slowness and lag problems: