Morphs and different Meshes

Hey all,

Blender novice here

I have 2 different meshes that differ only slightly in vert order and count. One of them is currently using 10 shape keys, while other hasn’t had any applied yet. Is there a way I can take the morphs from the first mesh, and apply them to the second, without having to redo everything? Note, I have to keep the adjustment of the second mesh the same as it is currently.

Any help is appreciated! =)

You should read this post:

http://www.harkyman.com/2009/09/19/copying-shape-keys-from-one-mesh-to-another/

I haven’t tried it when the meshes are not identical, maybe the vertices associated with the shapekeys must be the same, try it and report back.

Cheers, Clock.

That link is talking about using a very very old version of blender (v2.49) that is irrelevent to the current blender version.
The built in shape key tools allow you to transfer shapekeys from one object to another but they must be the ‘same’ object (vertex count etc), it will not work for different objects, you will get a ‘vertex count differs’ error message

Please post a link to your file. I like messing with shapekeys and I think it might be possible, but I’d have to see the file.

Thanks for clearing that up Richard!

Cheers, Clock.

Sorry for the lack of response this week. I attached the file I’m trying to add morphs to. The mesh with the 349 vert count is what I’m trying to transfer the shape keys to.

Attachments

MorphTest.blend (473 KB)

Hi beardofsocrates. I’m looking at this, am I correct that the shapekeys only affect the beard, and the vertex difference is only in the whiskers? If that’s correct, you can separate the beards from the whiskers, and then join the good whiskers to the good beard. That’s the simplest fix I see, if it works.

No the vertex difference is in the entire mesh, but yes the only the beard portion has morphs. A program I export it to as verts that I cannot, so that might be creating some confusion.

OK, I think I understand… I looked at the the beard and saw that it appeared identical, but didn’t think about the vertex order.
Give me a day or two. This is my plan… The meshes can be aligned and shrinkwrapped(nearest vertex) then write a script to iterate through the shapekeys, and export each as a shrinkwrap shapekey. It’s a strategy I’ve thought about a for some time, but have never actually done. Like I said, give me a bit of time. I think I can fix this.

OK, it was more difficult than I imagined, but it went pretty quick. Take a look at this and tell me if that works…
http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=44056

There was weirdness in the file that seemed to be related to the blender version it was saved from… I don’t understand just what was going on, but I think I cleared out the problem. If it acts weirdly let me know.