Viewport navigation while in Circle Select mode

There’s a way to be able to navigate while in Circle Select mode?

Dropping every time the tool to move around to select more stuff is not that fun if you’re doing it all the day.

Nope

Use other selection tools

As I thought :spin:

In the meantime I made some modifications (as I can’t find anything relevant online)

Depends on what you are doing is not the best ergonomically, but I’ve changed one function shortcut to make it work like a sticky key, this means that if you press and hold down C, you can select/deselect, when you release the key, the operation is confirmed.

Even if it’s a workaround, it’s better than the default method.

Fortunately, you have to change it only for one, in this case in 3D View (Global), and it will be associated to all Circle Select.

Yep, the default behavior is not good. What bothers me is that sometimes you feel tempted to orbit the view with MMB and you end up deselecting something you’ve already selected.
This was my proposal some time ago:

I’m using a custom Maya navigation, so I haven’t notice it, but considering the default keymap, there are more inconsistencies, like in this specific case, the RMB is not used for selection, but to cancel the operation; so what’s the point of having RMB as selection if you don’t follow the same criteria for all the cases?

Yes, should be LMB select and RMB to quit for preserve consistency.

Edit:
Or maybe not because you are actually using a kind of brush. Really, personally I have not many problems with LMB or RMB select thing. I even use the mouse some times with the right hand and sometimes with left hand, so I can generally adapt to those behaviors.
But the ability to orbit the view while circle select is active is definitely something necessary.

At least for me, RMB to select is not an option, as I’m using a tablet pen for modeling, it feels weird, though MMB to deselect (like in this tool) it’s easier to manage, and probably I’ll leave the Circle Tool as it’s shown on the picture, pressing down CTRL and C to deselect would be too much of a stretch.

Well, Can you see how difficult it is for developers to satisfy everyone? :slight_smile:

Just give the possibility to Orbit while Circle Select is active :yes: