Kinda layerd/facky material (need help)

So, i’ve been trying to replicate this red material (white also, but it looks like a simple diffuse+glossy to me so…)

Obviously, this is a screenshot from this video. As you can see at different moments the red material is either reflective either transparent (and a bit refracting?). I tried many combinations of nodes as much as my meager knowledge lets me and lost my patience at this.

I know that it doesn’t look like “combinations of nodes” but more complex things that I tried didn’t work either, so this is the “closest” result =( As you can see I used solidify modifier to make second layer of an object with it’s own materials, because that I believe is the way it’s done in the video. And I used freestyle to make edges white (going to make them glow at compositing stage) Somebody, please, help me to make this mat.

P.S. All the names are blurred only to avoid any giggles =P
P.P.S Also would like to get some help in more accurate configuring freestyle lines.

instead of the glass shader, it may be better if you build your own glass (a refraction shader, a glossy, and mixed by the fresnel node). This way you can give the refractive shader the red color, while keeping the reflection at white.
You may also use the absorption node for a bit more volume.

Thanks for the idea Secrop, but this way the mat has enough of red color from refraction node only when it’s IOR value is 2, but gives same artifacts (i mean over refraction) May be I do it wrong, but I guess it’s not exactly what’ll do the thing

I think you may be out of luck on this one. There is more going on than the obvious, and without reference material setup it will be near impossible to replicate. Ex, look at the white “extruded I” on the right; long side and short front are at approx same angle to the camera yet one appear glossy with reflection of red stuff and the other appears white yet it should reflect red from the bottom. Some parts appear transparent and others may appear refractive, how are anyone to guess what rules are setup to achieve this (in what appears to be a non realistic material with artistic tricks applied). Are the facing and backfacing materials the same (or even related)?

It’s one thing to analyze what goes on in a realistic material. Completely different story trying to figure out what is going on if all rules could have been completely ignored. I.e. the fresnel curve used for mixing could be different depending on which normal is being checked, or the gloss/transp effect (as additive shaders) could have their own individual effects which could break energy conservation (which you sometimes want to do for artistic renders like this but rarely for a physical approach).

If i.e. this was made in max and we could see the material setup there, we might be able to come up with something close to identical. Otherwise, it would be endless guesswork and finding things that didn’t quite match the expected result.

Here’s a shot at it, maybe you can get some ideas from it.

Funky.blend on dropbox