why does mesh shift when attaching to armature?

hi, when i attach my mesh to the armature, the arms shift slightly downward. i can’t figure out why and how to solve it.
i’ve searched around but haven’t found anything related.

any suggestions or solutions are deeply appreciated.

this is animated gif showing the problem. i am using blender 2.72 and i am using the Avastar 1.71 addon for the rigging.

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/attachments/content-creation/58285d1477028928-why-does-mesh-shifts-when-blendrig.gif

I’ll try to get the ball rolling, so to speak…

I don’t know anything about that particular addon. But it’s possible the angle for pole targets is causing it. Assuming that’s what I see near the elbow. I usually deal with it in a very technical way :slight_smile: . I just quickly switch between edit and pose mode while adjusting the pole angle to match the bones up. I don’t think it’s going to be absolutely spot on every time.

Is there some requirement it’s not meeting by doing this? Or are you just bothered by it personally? I can’t honestly see it being a source of major problems as long as the mesh still deforms well. I’d only be worried if there was some genuine distortion, like twisting/collapsing.

Modded game characters often have to accommodate a specific set of bones. Where the user wants to get the mesh in game, using the stock animations. Building the mesh to suit the rig is the only way to approach that. As opposed to the other way around. Where you intend to create your own animation set. Which frees you up to take the more traditional and logical route. Building a rig, based on the mesh.

If I was to create a mesh for that armature, I think that’s pretty much the way it would look before binding it.

hi, thanks for replying. :slight_smile:

i’ll try what you suggest and hopefully i get it close enough. this model has to fit into pre existing clothing so i have to get it very very close.

btw i forgot to mention i tried applying scale and rotation but that had no effect. in case someone suggests that.

i may have found a solution. in the object data panel with the triangle icon, there is a checkbox called “relative”, it only appears after the mesh has been parented to the armature. when i unchecked that, the arms returned back to normal.

that seems to have fixed the problem. but since i don’t understand why it’s works, i’m not sure if i haven’t caused another problem i’m not aware of yet. fingers crossed.

i had to uncheck it for the hands and lower torso, which are separate meshes, otherwise seams appeared.

hopefully the problem is solved.

here’s a gif of what i did. someone may find it helpful.

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/attachments/content-creation/58312d1477321894-why-does-mesh-shifts-when-blendrig2.gif

oh, not sure if i mentioned it, why that shift is important is because this model has to fit pre existing clothes. sleeves would not fit correctly.

please pardon me, my replies are delayed because they are still being moderated.

Hi Perry - you have found what I found also, hopefully this is now a solution. Sorry for the delay in replying, it took me a long time to get the blend file…

Cheers, Clock.

so far no issues, looks like that did it:)

thanks for taking the time to look it over clock:), it’s appreciated.