Rounding the corners: more modeling, or use normal maps?

I’m making a basic puzzle game for fun and am brushing up on basic modeling/texturing skills in the process. So far all is progressing well:

Challenge:
My four main corners are still a bit rigid and I want to make them more roundish, while keeping most edges looking sharp. What do you recommend I do to accomplish this?

I was thinking about using normal maps (very, very new to normal maps). However if I choose to play in VR, maybe additional geometry would be ideal? Should I start over with a new model (making me sad), or is there an efficient way to start splitting up some faces but not others? So far I can see splitting up the faces and “eyeing” the movement of vertices to make some edges more round.

I’ll keep playing around and will post something if I come up with a good plan. Thanks for your feedback!

To get the corners looking more round, you can add more geometry or add a subdivision surface modifier. Then to get the other edges looking sharp, try then adding an “Edge Split” Modifier. Make sure that they are in the correct order as well as this will affect the outcome. Let me know if this helps :slight_smile:

Blender_Mania,
Thanks for the great feedback. I started with modifiers, but they seemed to cause all sorts of extra curves and other undesired distortions. After reading up a touch, I do agree though that additional geometry is needed.

Currently I’m going about this a different way. It’s been time consuming, but I felt these game tiles needed some love as they are the most important visual of the game. For better or worse, here’s what I’ve done so far:

First I selected the faces I wanted to subdivide then chose [spacebar] -> “Subdivide”.

This of course subdivided all the faces (selecting specific ones didn’t make a difference), but all edges were kept with no unusual distortions.

I then simplified geometry by selecting sets of vertical faces and dissolving with [spacebar] -> “Dissolve Faces”.

To be continued shortly…

This left a lot of extra vertices though. I was able to remove the extras by selecting them and choosing [spacebar] -> “Dissolve Vertices”.

Now I think I’m ready to start moving vertices around. Not sure if I can make this super precise, but I’m thinking I can fake it 'till I make it?

Another challenge is going to be remaking the top face (UV mapped separately in another object). I’m wondering if there’s a way to select vertices from multiple objects at the same time?

More soon…

If that’s the basic shape, you could achieve the results you want in a few minutes with a cube, sharpened edges, inset and some bevels on the corners. There’s no need to sub-divide like that. Unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re trying to do. :slight_smile:

Yup. Smooth shading and controlling it might be what you want

I’m using these for selections in the video http://getblended.org/screens/looptypes.jpeg
I made the original, used bevel tool on the second, bevel modifier on the third.

Did this for the first one:

• Move face (G), extrude top face up (E), scale (S)
  • selected one larger face, shift+G -> area to select similar area faces around, inset (i) in and added depth by holding down ctrl. Could also inset and then alt+S to add the depth

Second:

• Selected corner edges around and ctrl+b to bevel

Third:

• selected and scaled edge rings along X and Y (S, shift+Z)
  • selected and added edge bevel weight of 1 (ctrl+E ->edge bevel weight, mouse move) on the corner edges
  • added bevel modifier with weight limit, adjusted values

The reason to add geometry in the first place is the silhouette which smooth shading and normal maps wouldn’t affect

No. Could join the objects together (ctrl+J) and then edit. Shouldn’t need to have separate objects, but could separate selected geometry to its own object with P -> selection.

JA12,
WOW! I wasn’t expecting such a complete explanation accompanied by a demo video. Thank you so much!

Tomorrow I’ll take a fresh crack at it with new skills.

I truly appreciate your time!

That looks so much better! Now I just need to adjust the texture corners to fit better with my new geometry and CURVES! :smiley:

Thanks again for the assist. :slight_smile: