objects added are black

I had unwrapped my object but only want the texture on the top… so redid the unwrap with only the top showing and the texture looks fine, but the edges around show as black… I tried to add new material as white and assign to the edges… but will not pick up the white… so thought I would add an image that is just white and assign to the edges… not working either… so decided to just add a plane and use it to hide the edges and make the material for the plane white…
everything I add, is added as Black material and cannot change it to anything else…

why would new objects pick up only black color and can’t be changed… I’ve never had this happen before…
I’m using Blender 2.72B

Not sure what setting may be messed up that it is giving every a black color

thanks

this is my file… I’ve added a cube… most is white, but face front is black… added a plane and it came in as black
can’t make it change … I’ve even gone in Edit mode and selected everything and hit assign… will not change

appreciate any suggestions as to why and how to change to white

not sure what I did to cause this

thanks

Attachments

Harmonium.blend (6.99 MB)

Okay… well, it looks like it has something to do with the lighting … when I use the Hemi light… it don’t show black… if the lighting is on Sun… it shows this object as black… move the sun around, parts of it show black… never had it happen before so not sure what it is that is causing it… am still playing with it to figure out why…

thanks

The reason is that in your world settings, your ambient color (sort of the all around sky) is black. Normally this a light grey color, which will give some lighting to everything (and also wash things out) so the short answer is to change that color to something besides black.

Maybe you are in texture mode’ so everything is black until you add a light, take a look at the header to switch into solid mode?

Edit: nevermind with 236 posr I guess you know this