Jazz Singer

Hello everyone =)

This is a character I recently did. The idea is based on the correspondent artwork of Johannes Helgeson:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JEJrz

Although I’ve decided to call this project finished, I’m looking for critique, since I want to get better =)

Modeling & Shading in Blender 2.77a
Postpro in Photoshop

I love the flow of her dress. And that material on the tights. With that lighting it just works.
Maybe the only thing that breaks it for me is her expression?

Nice! I thought it looked familiar :smiley:
The model is good and I really like the mood! The dress is also well made as well as the mic :slight_smile:

There are a few things off though:

• As Serin already said the expression is not very convincing. The smile could have been better shaped and a bit supported by the cheeks and the eyes look a bit horrified because the upper eyelid is very open.
    Close the eyes a bit more and she looks more relaxed :wink:

• There are some anatomical oddities like the fingers being very small and the neck being very short. The arms also have an almost too soft shape. I suggest some more anatomical references besides the original concept.

• The lighting looks very good but the focus seems to be on her chest and very little light is on her face. When you look at the original concept the chest also gets more light but is completely white, giving her a strong rimlight from the spotlights on the stage. The face (and the body a bit less) is hit by the red light from the ground that gives an interesting contrast to the blue light of the environment and draws the eyes to the face (+the reflection in her eyes helps too).

I don’t mind the differences like the orange-blue contrast in your lighting instead of the red-blue though or the different hairstyle.
After all it’s just based on the concept and not bound by it! :wink:

Hello Serin and Julien!

First of all: Thank you very much for the both of your replies, much appreciated! =)
You made your points very clear, especially Julien with the additional description and I have to agree.

Her expression seems too stiff, I will have to spend more time on that when I’m doing my next character project. After all it’s the most significant part of the body for expression.
I was not really satisfied with the arms and hands as well, thanks for pointing that out. Adding more anatomy seems idd like smth I should and will do next time =)

Blender 2.77a is always perfect… very nice work