Will we ever see an OpenSource V-Ray clone ? (polite conversation topic)

If I had a bunch of money to donate to the Blender Foundation and they asked me what to spend it on I would ask for a fully intergrated V-Ray clone.
I say V-Ray and not MentalRay but either one works for me.

Cycles is fantastic of course. I just read thru BlenderGurus article on Cycles V Other renderers
(https://www.blenderguru.com/articles/render-engine-comparison-cycles-vs-giants/) and Cycles more than held up against its commercial rivals.

I might be old, or old-school, but I really like the old style of rendering. Its done when its done and there is no grain.
Radiosity and Caustics precalculated and cached, and when they arnt needed renders are super fast and ultra clean.

I know unbiased renderers can be tweeked to act very similar but I think there is reason and room to have both styles of renderers.

I’d like to hear what others have to say on the topic. :eyebrowlift:

Look at Yafaray, theBounty, POV-ray… or just go with VRay for Blender.
This is just from top of my head so there’s probably more around…

oh… & here’s still Blender Internal.

If… :rolleyes:

from what I am reading, The Bounty exists because of lack of Yafaray development, although i am seeing Yafaray 3.1.1 (cant download it though… some page bug)
POV-Ray is… old… like really old :slight_smile:

I think its great that these free renderers are out there but they dont have the same backing that Cycles has had.

Blender internal still has backbone, but its no longer being supported… shame really.

Imagine B-Ray, with SSS, OpenSubDiv support, billions of Micropolygons calculated at rendertime but using hardly any RAM, and no programming experience needed to install ! :slight_smile:
It could be half the speed of VRay and still be excellent.

… and even using GPU to an advantage!

Well, VRay SA for use with Blender is €250 + dongle…
Then there’s a thread mentioning of making RedShift integration for Blender. Don’t know what’s happening… should post in the thread or contact and ask lvxejay about it…

It would be far easier to simply get Cycles to that position rather than try to revive the mess that is BI (code-wise at least).

Is already has high quality SSS and a level of micropoly/OpenSubDiv support for starters. That is also not mentioning how even Pixar is abandoning the old scanline-based technology (Reyes is gone in the new version of Renderman)