feedback needed on head sculpt

Hi all,

Can you please share your feedback on this sculpt, with respect to what are the important anatomical muscles/bones I am going wrong or not touched ?

hi blendtrier, welcome to the forum…
it is good that you start sculpting with the anatomy of the head in mind. this is how good sculpts can arise. the first is to consider the bone, that is the skull, since it gives the big forms. and the big forms need be sculpted first. when you look at a skull (or head) you see that the proportions are quite different to what you sculpted. you can take your sculpt, and use the grab brush with a large radius, and try to match the proportions better, like i indicated them in the drawing below. since i don’t know if you want sculpt a male or female head, i kept it fairly generic. i would suggest you start with ar male head, from a man around 30-50, since in these you can see the forms best and sharpest. younger faces are softer, and harder to sculpt. and, older are harder since the skin sags strongly, and you need to consider this additionally.
so, here is the first step, getting the big masses and shapes correct… use my drawover, or better, pick a few reference fotos of a man in said age… (oh, and put at least an indication of neck and ear, as this makes it easier to judge for yourseelf if you are on the right track) i hope this helps.

There’s lots of online resources for learning about sculpting anatomy. Scott Eaton and Ryan Kingslien spring to mind. Checkout the Eaton-Houdon Écorché app for Mac or iPad. There’s also some videos by Doris on CgCookie (archived now I think) that got me started. Proko is another excellent resource to learn about anatomy through drawing, and New Masters Academy is something I just subscribed to which approaches things in a traditional way.

Good luck!

Thanks Doris for your time & feedback !
I took some time. Here is the updated sculpt. Please review.

Attachments

As others have mentioned, you won’t get far without some kind of reference. It’s not cheating. It’s necessary. Artists use reference all the time. Whether it’s photos or physical objects. If you’re going to produce something that looks believable, you’ll get further if you know how it’s built underneath. Even on a basic level. :slight_smile:

Learning about the planes of the head might be a good starting point. It’s basically what Doris mentioned about getting the basic forms into the sculpt, early on. Not concerning yourself with details. Here’s an example from Sculptcookie on Deviantart. Which starts from a simple sphere and gradually builds up.

Right now the skull shape is a little too elongated. So it could be brought in from back to front. It definitely needs eye sockets. At the moment the lids are just ridges and the eyeballs are quite flat. Modeling some eyeballs as separate objects might help you to define the areas around them.

There’s an improvement since the first attempt. Keep at it though, and do take the advice about reference.

others are guiding you but I would encourage you… keep it up

Yeah keep it up man (or gal), it takes time but will pay off, sooner than you think.

Hadrien