Tips for cutting mesh in mid-animation.

So I ran into a slight issue earlier today. I’ve been working on an animation recently and couldn’t figure out exactly how I can cut my mesh in half in the middle of the animation. It’s not a huge issue but any tips of how I can do this would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been looking through youtube and nothing have helped me to be honest =|

To be honest the best approach IMHO is to cut the mesh anyway and animate it as though it were a single object. This you can do as a simple exercise:

Create a cube
In edit mode, add two edge loops very close together and delete the tiny separating polygons - then move the two edge loops to be coincident.
Give top and bottom halves a vertex group name each and assign vertices to these groups.
make an armature with two bones, one for the top half, one for the bottom, make one bone the parent of the other.

When you move the parent bone the whole lot moves, when you move the child bone only half the mesh moves.

i used this approach to slice up a mesh, effectively making it as a series of slices, animating the whole as a single object using the “root” bone then moving the slices using their individual bones.

Cheers from Hong Kong airport lounge, Clock.

PS. I have no idea what time of day my body thinks it is…