"Jiggling" in Animations?

Hello, I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. My problem is mostly knowing what the name of this technique actually is.

In this video, if you watch closely, the parts of the model seem to “jiggle” to show force being applied to them:

I’ve wondered for a long time what this technique is called and how to achieve it. Is it one that’s applied manually, or is there some kind of system in place that handles it automatically? I’ve searched around and can’t seem to find an answer - because when you look up “jiggling” you get traditional jiggle-bones explanations instead. Maybe that technique is being applied here, albeit subtly?

A good timestamp that really shows off what I’m looking for can be found from 0:24 to 0:26. The body “jiggles” when it hits the ground. How is this done?

Thank you. I appreciate the help!

Look into rigid body physics. I have no idea how to use blender’s physics system but its a good place to start.
https://www.blender.org/manual/en/physics/rigid_body/index.html
I can pretty much guarantee that you will have to add some animation after you bake the simulation because animation is heavily embellished in order to emphasize or dramatize an action. Examples are squish, stretch, and adding extra objects to a scene in order to emphasise an explosive collision of objects.
In the real world the characters in the animation from the video that you posted would absolutely not move like that. Those guys look like they’re being thrown onto a WWE wrestling mat and those mats have car springs under them. The mats give so that the athletes don’t have to soak up the impact thus causing their bodies to move that way via rebound. Hard surfaces are not nearly so forgiving.
BTW, that animation does look extremely cool.

If you’re looking for search terms “blender ragdoll physics” is good. What your video shows isn’t strictly ragdoll, but I’m sure some of the concepts still apply.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blender+ragdoll+physics

I have no idea how the rigs are set up, but I don’t think there’s anything fancy or procedural going on there. Just a good animator using micro movement of the existing bones. It looks to me like the animator is simply accounting for Newton’s 3rd law, using what they have available in the rigs. So where there’s contact there’s a reaction in the opposite direction.

As I said though, I don’t what systems are being used there. Perhaps there are some physics algorithms involved. But I still think it’s something that can be key framed by hand. :slight_smile:

Jiggling, to me, describes something like a “soft body” in motion.

Thanks for the input guys! I had been animating a similar effect myself manually with keyframe animation, and was just curious if something special was being applied.