Fire Hydrant - [First Serious]

I’ve been working to shake the long accumulated rust off my Blender knowledge for a while. I’ve learned more about compositing, rendering, fresnel, lighting techniques, etc. I wanted to model something that I could showcase all of these points together.

This is my first serious work, and I know it needs much improvement; which is why I’m here. I’d love constructive criticism on anything you find distracting, unrealistic, or downright awful about these renders.

A few hints and tips wouldn’t hurt too.

Thanks,
Josh

500 Passes each
Blender Cycles Engine
GPU Rendered

Very well.
What’s aweful is the compositing with the background. You just can’t go from razor sharp hydrant to a very blurry background with some seriously different scaling. My advice would be to not be lazy and model some background as well. If you insist on compositing it with a real photo you have to spend MUCH more time on this. It is not as easy as it may look.
What could use improvement:
(Free hint: Work closely with some reference image. you have to focus on details, not just overall form)

• The modeling is fine overall, but (probably thanks to subsurf modifier) all the edges and corners are too smooth. That looks very unrealistic and plastic-like. Study the reference and replicate sharper (not 90° but much sharper) edges where appropriate.
  • The material would also benefit from some more work. I applaud on the use of fresnel, however, the material overall is too reflective and too smooth. Up the roughness and add some bumpmap. If you consult the reference you will see there is plenty of small bumps. If you feel extra hardworking paint a dirt/grunge map to add some variety and realism.
  • The white parts are very distracting. I am guessing you should add some better material to them as well.

Hope this helps and do not forget to share when you re-render.

Just wonder what those white things (round mesh on the top/bottom & cylinders on the side) are? If they are screws or metal, currently it feels very plastic. Perhaps you would wanna explore adjusting the materials or texturing it to make this part less ambiguous. :slight_smile:

I think it would look nice with a little bit of bumpiness on it. and more roughness in it. the look is somewhat a cartoony style with the roundedness, which if you are going for i think looks nice. The background is a bit distracting.