Fluid Control Object Not Working?

Hi all,

I have been working with Blender (and fluid simulations) for quite a while, but… for the life of me, I can’t seem to get this fluid control object to work. So, I thought I’d ask for help here.

The setup looks as follows:

The green cube is the fluid domain, the ico sphere is an object of type “fluid” and the bottle is a “fluid control”. The idea, of course, is to let the fluid spring into the form of the bottle. This, however, does not seem to work.

After baking (note that I reduced the resolution to 90 just for testing purposes) the first frame looks fine. But after two seconds (50 frames), the scene still looks like this:

As you can see, not much changed. In fact, the fluid starts moving at all (wiggling back and forth a bit) only around frame 20 or so. So, for about 19 frames the fluid does not change at all. And after that, not very much. Also, adjusting strength and radius of the control object does not seem to make much of a difference. (By the way: What units is this radius measured in? Meters?)

Here’s the blend-file, in case someone would like to help me solve this mystery.

Fluid into Beer Bottle.blend (1020 KB)

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

(By the way, in case you’re wondering: I do know that I could have set the bottle to be the fluid object. I would like to have some movement, however, with some drops splashing around along the edges. And I thought, a control object would be the way to go. Any suggestions for better approaches are welcome.)

I believe you just need to decrease the fluid control radius value and use a slight non-zero force for gravity.

http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=44281

The units used for the radius is the non-descript blender unit (BU), which in the case of the fluid sim corresponds to meters,
You can confirm this by reducing the gravity to a very low number, and then give an inflow object a starting velocity
and see the distance the fluid travels in one second.

Thank you, @Gimble, for your reply. That helped me a lot. Your version actually works pretty well now. Too much fluid… and I will have to find a way to stop the fluid from leaking at the bottom, before it has completely filled the bottle… but I guess that will be easy to adjust. :slight_smile:

When it didn’t work with the default radius setting, the thought that the radius could be too big didn’t occur to me. I was under the impression that choosing a higher radius should work better.

Thank you again for your help. Much appreciated.