Circumnavigation of the UK (maybe).

Circumnavigation of the UK or part UK.
See my site if you want further details
http://www.barrygandsw.co.uk/intro01.html
B

I can’t find any download links!

we need the sea and coastline for the journey.

You can download the heightmap data for the entire world (or sections of it) from http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/ (you have to register/log in though - but it’s free)
It’s a hard to use website, so:

1. Start off by drawing placing points on the map to make a box
  2. On the side bar, click “data sets”
  3. Select digital elevation -> strm -> void filled
  4. Click results
  5. Download the heightmaps

The data is quite high resolution (several meters? Definitely < 100m per pixel), so you’ll probably have to downscale it. It’s also in a high bits-per-pixel format, so gimp can’t work with it - but blender can.

Finally, in terms of forum ettiquette, it would be better if you created a “work in progress” thread and posted new posts onto that (please don’t keep creating new threads, it’s hard to keep track of)

Thanks for your reply but I have all the requirements to make these simulations.
Blender Game Engine :Maritime ship or boat routes or simulations.

http://blender3dandcoastalpast1.barrygandsw.co.uk/intro01.html

This is to inform… scaled down 80 km routes will now replace the larger routes. based on srtm2 data.
This will start a new sequence around the coastline if it works.
2 smaller Liverpool routes for download 1800 and a33-1837 approx.

As I find these forum are unsuitable no further posts will be made.
Details are on my site should anybody be interested.

http://blender3dandcoastalpast1.barrygandsw.co.uk/intro01.html

This is the only thread now that is relevant.
Maritime simulations scaled down to one eighth from 80,000 meter routes to enable me to work around all of England, Wales and Scotland. Era c 1800 hopefully.

Refer to my site for any further details as I am not posting further.

B

As this is the MOST relevant thread, and regardless of possible comments, this is now the thread that I will post a reply on , should there be any RELEVANT queries. Due to the uncertainties of the Blender game engine in the Blender future updates I have stopped making the 40 km size routes of which I made 30 stretching around the coastline of the UK from the Solway Firth to the Thames Estuary.

As the 20 km size are possibly more relevant to possible future Blender Game Engine updates I am now concentrating on these. 23 are made, with reasonable content on a few of them, including working locks on the river Mersey route. Solway Firth route name Gretna01 is first and the routes, extending around and coastline to Barmouth in North Wales, following on from each other.

As making the routes can NEVER be completed, unlike games, I will be updating them from time to time . I will probably leave 5 online for download and rotate them…add one to end and remove the first.

I have put the first of these back online. They are not games but have included a small scenario about collecting cargo of barrels in the first on the Solway Firth. Should there by any interest in scenarios I can make more as and endless variety of scenarios could be made. The terrain is fairly accurate as based on srtm2 satellite data and using the latest Blender script to create the height map mesh.

I am unable to reply to posts or ‘advice’ unless relevant. Regarding a previous moderators conmment I do not use screenshots on this forum as they are read from my site and I have to pay for the limited bandwith! If people are interested they will look at my site without advertising it with screenshots, if not they won’t, but up to them as I don’t mind either way. Perhaps these forums are unsuitable for realistic route making based on srtm2 data or similar. I don’t know, but at present they don’t appear to be ? I have made various routes for 12 years or so, both using both ship and train simulations for ‘maritime’.

http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/

Barry

River and harbour at Annan uploaded, includes scenario to collect barrels using the schooner and sailing-flat. B

As this is the most RELEVANT thread I will post here. Due to the uncertainties of the future of the Blender Game Engine I have decided to simplify the maritime routes (I don’t make games only maritime simulations based on srtm2 satellite data). I made 23 routes at 20 km Solway Firth to Barmouth. These are discontinued and making larger routes which will be Solway Firth around to Thames Estuary. I have made these previously and deleted them, but by using ‘limited dissolve’ function for the seabed I can reduce the vertices by about half. Also the vertices if outside 10,000 meters from centre used to ‘fly back’ if typed in which made making rivers almost impossible. This now seems to have been fixed. So routes will be 25km to about 40 km.

If you want to make games you can always make interactive scenarios such as collecting cargoes etc. I have put a simple one into the 01 Solway Route.

I do NOT post screenshots on forums as I pay for my limited bandwidth and make routes available for download instead. I need to make about 30 to 40 routes from Solway to Thames and will rotate the routes online add 1 to end, remove one from beginning. I will reply to any queries on this thread.

Finally if you are not interested in maritime routes that is fine. Also I am NOT interested in criticisms as routes are also for download and need to be able to work on varying types of computers. Perhaps let me know if you make any alterations to my routes as regards loading time and methods used.

I have put 3 routes online including the full Isle of Man.
I will try and keep 5 routes online as will rotate/update them as time goes on.
Also I can copy and paste from route to route so might add content gradually to the routes.

Barry

I have discontinued the small 20km size maritime routes due to the uncertainties of the Blender Game Engine. 23 of the these starting from Solway Firth around to Barmouth North Wales.

However by using ‘selected dissolve’ function for the seabed I am now making routes up to about 40 kilometers. By chosing an appropriate area of srtm2 height map I can remove about up to half the vertices from 300,000 down to about 100,000 to 150,000. This should enable the routes to run more easily. If you don’t understand not important.

Routes will now be about 25,000 about 40,000 kilometers square and the area eventually starts from the Solway Firth anti-clockwise.

i don’t make games but you can always make your own interactive scenarios for them. I have included a simple cargo collection scenario in the first route for download solway01.

Regarding criticism it is of no use to me. If interested you can test your own ideas out on the routes and if they will still run on lower end computers, explain the ‘improvements’ and give full details and will see if I can include the idea in the routes , but only if already tested on my routes by yourself. Also I would need full details, not tutorials which I can’t follow on my computer.

I will probably keep 5 of the larger routes available for download. These will be rotated through the sequence of routes. Add one to end and remove first one. The initial phase is making the routes which will be BASIC, then at an ongoing leisurely rate I will probably add/update routes. Routes as opposed to games can NEVER be complete as always things to make or alter!

Current available larger routes for download starting from the Solway Firth and these will alter…Each route will have one or more drivable sailing ship, or sailing flat.barge. Era early 19th century (maybe)

01Solway
02solway,
03Full Isle of Man
04Coastal lake district.

All routes based on srtm2 satellite and height map and script to generate the terrain.
Please note I do not use screenshots on forums as if interested people will
look at the site…if not they won’t… does not matter to me either way!
This forum is the most RELEVANT and any queries I will try and reply to on this thread which is easy enough to find and follow!

The only other posts I might make, other than to answer queries, is the available routes for download as they change. Routes initially will be BASIC!

Barry

Available routes for download at the time of posting

01Solway
02solway,
03Full Isle of Man
04Coastal lake district.
05Cumbria

I will probably keep 5 online for now and these will rotate by adding one to end and remove one from front.
The routes follow on from each on in sequence starting at the Solway Firth and working anticlockwise.
The name of the route is just a name to help to identify the maritime route position around the UK.
Barry

Considering leaving 7 simulations online for download to rotate (add one/remove one) each few days maybe, but depend on the site statistics. Would be useful if you find any of the textures don’t load, perhaps mention on this thread and will repair it .
Maybe I will include one scenario in one route in each five/seven routes. Might manage to put back Conwy castle on the route I am working on (route 9) and add a small scenario. Would be nice to complete a circumnavigation before starting to update them but will try for the Thames Estuary first. ‘slowly’.

This is the most appropriate thread!

As there is only very little interest I will post here as appears to be a waste of my time posting elsewhere…again that depends if there is any relevant discussion/queries to reply to.
Maritime routes set in the age of sail size now the larger size at 30 to 40 kilometers approx. Basic!
Circumnavigation so far of part of the UK with the emphasis if possible on the past coastal ages and bygone times of maybe 2 centuries or so ago. This depends if I can find enough info about the old harbours etc.

I will be rotating the routes (add/remove one) and will probably keep 5 to 7 avaiiable on-line.
Up to route eight North Wales.

Routes are based on srtm2 satellite data. Terrain texture at 512 x 512 as not practical seperate terrain textures on this size of route except maybe along the river banks.

I might take the routes around to the Thames Estuary maybe 30 routes?..or I might not.

The reason for this post is as mentioned, I will be rotating the routes and they might only stay available for a few days more before I start the rotation and remove the first one to make 7 routes. It might be a long while before they rotate around to make them available again.

Happy Sailing in Blender

Barry

As this is the most APPROPRIATE thread I will continue to post here rather then the general maritime thread which I started.
Of course Simulations can NEVER be completed as there is always something to make or alter or correct.
Circumnavigation is an entirely DIFFERENT topic to the general maritime thread I started so updates to my available downloadable routes will NOW be posted here.

The era about up to 1815 but much guesswork as a lot of the old harbours no longer exist
Previous routes were up to about 20km and 13 made including complex docks, working locks, drivable sailing craft using rigid body and off-set collision box, half a tidal rise animation of a few hours in the river Alt route. Smaller size of 20km currently discontinued but might resume making that size series.

Routes are all based on satellite data srtm2. Seabed and estuaries made but rivers will all be made later.
So each route initially will be ‘basic’, terrain and a water sheet animated to rise and fall a meter or so to simulate wave swell, roaming camera, ONE drivable craft small gaff-rig boat, or sailing flat or schooner.

Routes will be rotated add one/remove one each few days to weeks starting in a few days.
Route size is approx 25 kilometers to 45 kilometers. Limited dissolve reduces the vertices count considerably mainly on the seabed.

Whether these routes will work in future updates to the game engine I have no idea but I can always return to the 20 km size and include the Leeds to Liverpool Canal. I might return to the making the 20 km size anyway and include more content. See my site for further details and mini-screenshots. A lot depends on what will work with the future Blender Game Engine!!

Currently 16 of the larger routes made Isle of Man and Solway Firth around to the Bristol Channel.
About 5 routes will be available for download at any one time but will start to rotate them in a few days add one/remove one.

Current routes available for download until I start to rotate them…

Full Isle of Man
Solway Firth part one
Solway Firth part two
Coastal Lake District
Cumbria

Possibly I will continue around to the river Thames and Estuary

This thread is for those interested in maritime routes !
‘Advice’ not required, but you can always experiment on the routes if you wish to see what will work with these larger size routes without lowering frame rates. Also of course relevant queries and discussion are welcome.

Any number of different scenarios can be made if you wish to add a ‘game’ element to the simulations.
I still don’t know whether to concentrate on the 20km size routes or the 25 to 45 km. I could include scenarios on the 20 km size and extend up to 25 km, and concentrate more on the details ?

Barry

As this thread has the most appropriate heading I will post here!
I do not make games but maritime simulations which of course can never be completed as always something to add, remove or alter.
As the heading says circumnavigation but with the changing functions of Blender who knows.?
The era will be ‘pretend’ up to about 1815.
25 to 45 km size routes discontinued. Many of the 20km routes remade. Some of the 20 km size I might keep.
Circumnavigation (maybe), starts from the Solway Firth at the borders of Scotland and follows the coastline anti-clockwise…
The new size of most of these routes based on srtm2 satellite data will be about 25 km… Further details for the reasons for the changes are on my site.
I will update THIS thread when changes to the download routes are uploaded or when new routes are uploaded.

All downloads removed today and will start putting the ‘basic’ routes online for download shortly.

‘Advice’ is pointless with this type of simulations as there are various reasons for the way I am making these maritime routes and you would need to know the details.
However of course relevant feedback and discussion welcome as it all helps to further the cause of SERIOUS simulations (maritime) in Blender.

Route size will now be mainly about 25 kilometers. See site for further details about this.
Routes initially, probably won’t have rivers made but the sea and estuaries will be made, basic texture to terrain, water sheet animated to rise and fall a meter or so to simulate wave swell, roaming camera and one drivable ship or boat or sailing flat. To make boats floating they use and offset collision box so they ‘float’ at waterline and boats set to rigid body and not dynamic so they will work in locks, etc.

Should there be any interest endless interactive scenarios could be made within serious simulations. like in train simulators. I use mainly functions ‘invisible’ and ‘near’ trigger functions…but all that is dependant on discussion!

Scenarios such as collecting cargo, collecting crew or person in water, launchings, uprighting capsized boats, etc by triggering animation. If you make any effects to these routes it would be interesting if you would post details

Barry

This thread now has the most appropriate heading so details will now be on this thread. Same applies to any queries. As the heading states it is about circumnavigating the UK in the Blender Game Engine maritime routes using satellite data for terrain. The previous thread was more a general maritime thread but now this thread is SPECIFIC to what I make.

It is NOT about making games but making real life maritime simulations.
I am basing the era on the age of sail. Maybe up to about 1815 pretend.

I have had several routes on line for download. However I have discontinued the 20km size routes and routes are now about 30 to 45 kilometers in size. They start from the Solway Firth and so far I have worked my way anti-clockwise around the UK to the Bristol Channel and currently working on the Cardiff area the 21st route. I think it will be a partial circumnavigation as heading for the Thames Estuary. Then will consider updating the routes to version 2, etc, or alternatively I might stop updating or making further ship routes.

I will put them online at 5 at a time for download but they will only be available for short time until I replace them with the next 5, etc.

The Basic routes are made with satellite data for terrain srtm2. The sea and estuaries are made. Rivers will be made when I start to update them together with trees harbours, etc. A roaming camera is included and one drivable sailing craft. Gaff-rig small boat, Sailing flat or schooner. An offset collision box and rigid body makes them float at the waterline. For further details and available downloads see my site. Also it is easy enough to make interactive scenarios if you wish to make some for the routes.

Barry

I am trying to set the era up to about 1815, as the later it becomes the more complexity would be required. An example is Liverpool docks in the Mersey 20 km route which was about one and half miles in length c1800. A few decades later it doubled in size to 3 miles, eventually to become about 7 miles. Then with the big container ships the upper river docks became unusable.

This is mentioned because you can always try your own made… say steamships in the routes, but as I make my routes for free and for download I try to keep them fairly simple. If you do try your own ships in these larger routes, post and let us know how you progress.

Criticism of the routes is not required BUT if you can improve them and test your ideas in the routes again please post with full details as my skills are limited!

Once I have made the 20 routes available for download (5 online at any one time). I will start making the rest available (when I complete them) around to the Thames estuary and River. Maybe needs another 10 to 15 making in addition to the 20 made. After that I will start to update them to version 2 at a leisurely rate of progress, perhaps continuing the ‘coastal journey’ around the UK with more… if updates to Blender don’t scupper the idea.

Once I have completed the approx. 35 routes which will be in sequence, updates to version 2, which will probably be making the rivers. Then version 3 and so on.

Obviously these posts are for people interested in real life maritime simulations, BUT you can easily make your own interactive scenarios within the routes ( I might include a few later). Some examples collect and deliver cargo, crew, or person in water using visible and invisible function. Triggers can start ship launchings, open bridges, etc. Perhaps somebody could explain how to tow a boat ( I can only push boat) and so on.

I started making the Leeds to Liverpool Canal in the Mersey 1800 route but the age of of horse drawn barges is beyond me. Also by using offset collision box around barge the box stops the barge (if drivable) going through hump-backed bridges.

Continued : With all these routes I find that copy and paste objects with windows 7 seems to work OK. I have shunted my Conway castle into a few different routes so once the basic routes are made I will see what i can copy and paste from the 20km routes inlcuding the mersey 1800 docks. Perhaps also the working locks at Ellesmere Port. However might have to remake the animations on that one.

Barry

I have copied the paragraph below from my site so you will have an idea of what the current position is for the downloads…

“I will start rotating these version 1 routes by adding one to bottom of list and removing the one at top.
Possibly daily? Also when I reach the Thames Estuary and River I will start to update them to version 2.
For version 2 some of the alterations might be minor and perhaps not even noticeable such as lighting, etc. Possibly about 30 to 35 routes to complete the ‘journey’ from the Solway Firth to the Thames?
Regarding the quantity on line at any one time. Possibly seven or might reduce to five or so. Currently seven on line.”

This will save me waiting to see if you want to download any, so up to you if of any interest! It might be a ‘while’ before the route rotation get back to them, as the updates to the next version might not be in route sequence order. So probably tomorrow I will remove the Isle of Man route at the top of list and add another to the bottom of list, and so on, as currently working on route 22 which will complete the coastline of Wales near Chepstow.

To make the routes more ‘game’ like it an easy matter to alter the routes to include a small interactive scenario in each. Perhaps let me know as it would be interesting to read what alteration you make.
Maybe add a few steamships and alter the era to a later time?

The terrain is accurate enough as not using ‘limited dissolve’ on it and only using the ‘limited dissolve’ function for the seabed which in turn enables me to make the route size about 30 to 45 kilometers, if I am careful to include enough sea and estuaries in each route.

Pity there is not much interest in making maritime simulations in Blender Game Engine as probably surpising what could be made with it, as there is no need for too much complexity.
Busy docks, submarines, ship launchings, for ship battles for the ‘game’ enthusiasts you could use the visible, invisible function or whatever. Routes can be made of any part of the world. For another simulator many years ago I made the pyramids and dhows on the Nile, etc. Srtm2 data for the terrain covers much of the world.

The routes are not for commercial use.

Barry

As explained I have started a rotation of the routes. The Isle of Man route is removed from the beginning of the list of downloads and the North West addED to the end. This keeps the currently available downloads at 7 at time of posting.

This will be a one off and possibly will add/remove the route sequence daily.
Updates for downloads, at random, will possibly follow later.

Barry

I have decided this forum is not suitable for my interests and for a few reasons I will not be posting further.
As my previous posts were no longer applicable I have removed my posts. Also for now I will remove the downloads from my site.

Barry