Can modern Blender art come even close

Good evening,

I have been following this forum on and off for about 10 years now. I was fascinated by CGI from late 90s. One of the images that inspired me then was by an artist by the name of Gilles Tran in 2000. He used a free program called povray, a script-based raytrace rendering engine…I just love the feel, atmosphere and attention to detail. I keep coming back to this and stand amazed. Are there any artworks created by Blender that can compete?

More like these at http://hof.povray.org and http://www.oyonale.com

in 2000 standards
this image is AMAZING!

but… 2016 standards…
I can see so so many flaws…

Gleb Alexandrov does work with rich detail.

if there was used only POV-Ray, and all these geometry and materials was created by scripting, then it’s indeed amazing.

Anything is possible with enough creativity and rendering time.

I would say yes…

This piece of work always stands out to me - https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?380291-Big-City-Sensory-Overstimulation

That’s an all time great pic, the best done with POV-ray that I know of anyway. That said, have you looked at the gallery? There’s plenty of stuff that’s considerably better, although maybe not specifically of an urban street in rain…

As with all of these “can Blender do this?” threads the answer is always, if you are talented enough, absolutely. There is nothing in Blender that would prevent you from making that image. The limits are only in your own skills.

There are so many bigger more important things to worry about right now, but whatever.

Blender does not create art works. People do.

Blender is a tool. All the major 3D apps are all just complex tools for artists to create with.

However seeing the amazing progress of this particular tool right now. All the incredible works and projects ( including several feature films ) that are now being produced by so many amazing creators, teams and company’s that are using Blender as the main app.
Why are these questions still being asked ?

Anyway all the best with everything.

And also a first post. Welcome to Blender Artists Forum.

I would like to see if someone can recreate this in Blender.

That picture in the OP is professional level, not only in quality but also in the amount of work involved; I think it is unlikely you’d be able to just challenge random people on the internet to do it for free.

Upon closer inspection of the images on oyonale.com, you can see in the close up shots the limitations of the software/hardware in the age this was made. Low res textures, low poly assets and (kind of) simplistic shading, looks more like game engine graphics really.

(Insanely good for 2000 though still, the reflections of the wet asphalt surface in particular).

Image sources -

http://www.oyonale.com/image.php?code=464&mode=info&section=2000&lang=en

Look in the forum and you’ll find tons of Cycles artwork far surpassing this (especially in terms of detail, shading, and lighting).

Regardless of that, the image was impressive for its day (POV-Ray was pretty much one of the only FOSS solutions of any kind back then that might’ve been worth using, providing you learned the programming language. That at least until it started falling way behind as commercial engines introduced photon-maps, SSS, and other features).

Fanboyism is a significant threat to innovation with open-source software, and there are plenty of features that Blender and Cycles lacks, features that are limiting to some degree, some more than others.

The power of Blender is in that we, as users and developers, demand more from it.

I think a better example would be something like the environments from Good Dinosaur or Jungle Book. Perhaps I’m going to be shot down here, but I dare say not, even if stills in some cases.

I am just a bit curious is the grading of how good an image taking place purely on technical grounds, it’s kind of disappointing reading most of the comments here because no one is really talking about what makes the image hold up and work despite the fact it was created with really old tech.

Personally I love the composition, lighting and the muted use of color and texture with punches of color mostly coming from the lights. The image holds up really well because the ‘art’ side of the equation is good.

Bleuh, can Blender do this… Why did I work so many years on Blender POV export and now import to post the thread below without getting any serious interest:

I’m tired…

In this case it was someone asking if Blender can produce something akin to what was possible 16 years ago, by no means are people claiming that Blender is capable of recreating the Hobbit Trilogy or the recent Marvel films.

If 16-year-old POV-Ray work could not be done in Blender today, then you would be hard-pressed to find even a single professional or studio using it (which isn’t the case today).

Did you just call me a fanboy?! LOL!!

A true artwork is a product of the tools and the artist.

blender is an amazing tool for many workflows,

If you want to know if you can clone an artwork try to,
if you can’t it’s most likely the artist not the tools.

Any artist that blames his paintbrush, should re-evaluate themselves.

I have seen far better work then that image come from this forum.

:smiley: funny thread
all tools are nothing without the imagination
even human is occasionally a beast, another bag of meat
so with all due respect, observe and practice to devise your style of perfection OR idolize, adore, glaze and wonder to achieve nothing