New category : Addons Support

Most addons don’t have a place to ask questions. You have the “Issues” tab on github but that’s not for questions.

Consequence : “Animation Nodes” has currently 137 pages on the same topic, that’s really unhandy.
Other big addons probably have the same issue
How about adding the “Addons” category under the “Support” category ?
It would even be best to have a subforum for the biggest ones (like A.N.)

What do you think ?

Addons are scripts & have a place under Category: Released Scripts & Themes

To find, I do re-search :wink: Yup, i like to search, search & search.
First i search the web.
Next i search the forums.
And finally, search the threads. Finding specific words on pages with the help of ctrl+F.
It is the process of learning, studying.

About AN, there is Animation Nodes GitHub page. While proper site would be more than welcome, honestly i don’t miss it. For starters maybe just smthng similar to Sverchok site or BlenderSushi blog.

Preferring freewill approach VS mandatory order. :wink:

Yes, A.N has a github page, but as I said you can’t ask questions there and yes, there is the “Category : Released Scripts & themes”. So maybe there’s no need for an “Addons” category. But subcategories would really help.
Animation Nodes is not just another addon, it’s almost another Blender. On a 137 pages thread, using “Search Thread” and Ctrl+F is not enough. When there are so many things to talk about in a single thread, discussions are overlapping and communication becomes more complicated. Having a subcategory would make it much easier. I don’t think there are too many addons as big as this one to make this task of adding subcategories complicated.

Let’s see :
Animation Nodes : 137 pages
Sverchok : 96
SceneCity : 59
Hard ops : 55
Corona Render Exporter : 51

As you can see Animation Nodes is by far the biggest one. And apart from these 4 others that’s pretty much it. You can see it there.

https://blenderartists.org/forum/search.php?search_type=1

Use the advanced search, at the bottom set to display results as posts.

Results will look the same / be as relevant as a list of question threads.

:wink: or as stated above (third search technique) Search Thread (located in the right upper corner)
http://i.imgur.com/JxnTnxp.jpg

Thanks, I knew about both these tools but thanks to the both of you, I realized that the advanced search also works inside a single thread, not just inside the selected categories, when you click on “search thread” and then on “advanced”. So that’s cool !

But I still think a subcategory would be better :

• First, if you want to really get into details about some difficulty you’re having with the addon, doing it in the middle of another discussion is a bit annoying

• Second (more important), if someone replied to your question 30 posts later, how would you find it and how would you even be aware of it ? Searching wouldn’t work if the reply doesn’t include keywords you would expect, but mostly you’re probably not aware someone replied to you ! You don’t necessarily want to subscribe to a thread where new posts are added everyday and read through all of them. If you could add your own thread under a subcategory, you could subscribe to it and receive a notification only when someone replies to you.

Since Animation Nodes is so diverse in its tools and used more and more (a least I think), and also since its manual is like an arid desert, it would be really helpful for all its users (including me) to have a real place to ask questions, no matter on which website it is. But why not BA ?

If an add-on is for a particular workflow (e.g. Animation Nodes is for animating), then use the relevant support thread that for that workflow. Chances are good that other people who are in that support forum are familiar with and use that add-on. Just mention the add-on in the description of the question you have.

For bugs, add-ons have their own trackers. For community support, our current support forum categories should suffice just fine.

If you really want to create a specific discussion area for a particular addon you can create its own group (Community / Group menu at top of forum)

Thanks for your replies. I didn’t know there were groups ! That’s great ! But there doesn’t seem to be a big activity there. I guess I should convince Jacques Lucke to redirect everyone there.