i'm looking for a network render manager

So I want to utilize the computers of friends to help render an animation. These computers will be located in different locations. First, is this even possible and second, from what I have read I need a network render manager.

So…anyone know if a good network render manager out there. I would prefer open source as cost is a concern (I’m doing this as a hobby so money is tight), but if there is a good one out there for a reasonable price I would entertain it.

So far I found CGRU as well as a few others that seem to have stopped development. Has anyone used CGRU?

Any other options that I have not found?

Thanks

Depending on the file, why not try something like SheepIt, and only approve your friends to render the project? That would take away some of the hassle.

Otherwise you could try the Loki Render, you will just have to set up port forwarding etc… on your master to allow your friends to connect over the internet. Depending on your upload speed, it could take quite a while to distribute all the files.

http://loki-render.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page

could SheepIt then be theoretically used to connect my own home computers? This would greatly simplify things if I was able to only share this with my “friends” :slight_smile: I didn’t see any information on their site on how to do this.