objects not pivoting where its supposed to!

Hey guys/gals,

Im animating industrial products, pretty basic stuff.
i need the objects/group to pivot on the 3d cursor.
which in this instance, i snapped to the vertex in the centre of a fastener. which is the exact pivot point in the real world.
i have grouped the objects together.
i keyframed before the move “lotrotscale”.
rotated
inserted keyframe “lotrotscale”
at this point my screen shows me everything moved correctly, however when i played back the animation the group is rotating and translating to a different position, ive noticed that it starts & ends in the correct positon, but along the way it translates as well as rotating. (attached link)
i was hoping you guys can tell me what im doing wrong!

thanks for your time in advance.

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/745479r1olgjdao/pivot%202.avi?dl=0[/video]

if you animate a object look what the object pivot do. It goes a straight way from keyframed position A to B no matter if you achieved the distance between A and B with rotation or location. So if you want to rotate around the cursor without a translation you have to set all object pivots to the cursor.

A better way is to parent with something which have only a pivot like empties to avoid translation rotation problems…or much better use something with a additional offset modus like bones.

good luck

thanks @vanderhorst i went back and used empties & parented my objects to the empties, this was such a great help. i have since only used this method when ive set up my animations.
its changed my process. i now spend the time before jumping straight in to create empties on all my pivot point then i go through and parent the objects together. i really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

I highly recommend you watch this video…

definitely has some good information on Rotations in blender…