IDMapper - create ID-maps the easy way

it’s always exiting to announce a new product on Blender Market and today I am pleased to announce IDMapper.

IDMapper is a Blender add-on that lets you create a vertex color layer that can be used as an ID-map by texture paint tools like Substance Painter. It uses smart heuristics to create the initial maps and offers tools to adjust this result in an intuitive way.
More details can be found in this blog-article or of course on the product information page which includes the full documentation.

1 Like

An updated version (20170827) is now available on Blender Market.

Highlights:

• Add detection of sharp edges
  • Help display in face paint mode
  • Respect sharp faces when smoothing, expanding or shrinking a region
  • improved navigation
  • Bug fix: paint selected faces now sets undo stack

More information (including a demo video) in this article.

An updated version (20170918) is now available on Blender Market

Highlights:

• Add ID Color List management

it is now possible to load, manage and save named lists of colors
    and to pick colors from this list when working in Face Paint mode.
    This is convenient if your studio uses smart materials for example
    and you have a list of predefined ID map colors you want to use for
    many different assets.
    Unlike Blender’s built-in palettes, these colors have names, can be
    searched and sorted and loaded/saved as .csv files.

• Add color picking outside select object in Face Paint mode

• Number of undo levels in Face Paint mode is now configurable

More information (including a demo video) in this article.

The December 2017 release is available now on Blender Market.

This release features a nicer interface and lot of functionality requested by various users, including 1-click baking of vertex colors to an image, generating a set of materials based on vertex colors, assigning vertex colors based on vertex group weights and improvements in the color list manager along with a collection of smaller features and bug fixes.

More details, including a tutorial on the new features can be found here.

This is hands down best vertex color mapping tool for blender and must have for anyone who uses substance designer or painter since those programs as default makes id maps based on vertex colors. New features makes it even more powerful I really wish this will work in blender 2.8 when it comes out :slight_smile:

1 Like

@fiendish55: thank you and I’ll do my best to support it on 2.8

(2.8 changes a little bit too much at the moment but as soon as it settles down, I’ll certainly spend some time on it. Creators on Blender Market are sort of obliged to keep their add-ons compatible with the latest official version of Blender anyway :slight_smile: )

Can you move id mapper to N panel where all the addons are in 2.8? I want to keep my tools panel minimized and then id mapper don’t work correctly.

that is a good suggestion, i’ll put it on my list. I’ll send round an e-mail update as soon as it is done.

Thanks for the suggestion!

any news for the n-panel change?

Version 2.80-20190314 moves the panel. I sent the mail out to near the end of march.

Regards,

– Michel

1 Like

heya there is something happening with the new id mapper build it gives me this error with newest blender 2.8 https://i.imgur.com/ZlkGBEB.gifv

Looks like something changed (again) in the depency graph API. I will check it out. Thanks for reporting it.

I have made a new version (idmapper280-20190526.zip) available on BlenderMarket.

1 Like

I haven’t bought this yet, but prolly will next project that needs Painter etc. But how is it that there is so little action on this thread? I mean, is fiendish55 your only customer, after 2.5 years? wtf? I would think this would be a very popular addon, especially with any Blender folk also using Painter/Designer. Maybe knock down the price a wee bit. Something under $20 (twenty bones is a psychological barrier for many folks – like perhaps $16 or so) could really boost sales. Products often need to find their sweet-spot on pricing, and my guess is that you haven’t found yours yet. Often times, somewhat lower prices can lead to ultimately making way more bucks in the end…

Personally I don’t care if it’s 10 or 30 bucks if it improves my workflow and saves time. As for me, I just think it is much more convenient to bake ID maps from material colors instead of using vertex color. As a former 3dsmax user, I just don’t like having to switch to the Vertex Paint mode every time I want to apply vertex colors to parts of a mesh. Applying materials is so much faster, especially with the Hardops Alt M shortcut.

However, if Substance Designer would let me choose which vertex color set to bake from, I might change my opinion.

@bassig: IDMapper allows you to assign vertex colors based on material id, either random colors or the display color of the material. But to be honest, you would still need to change to vertex paint mode in order to run IDMapper from the paint menu.

regards,

– Michel.

Hi, I’m new to this cool addon. Where are the options in 2.8?
NVM, found it. Vertex Paint menu: Brush > Enabled Modes > Texture Paint

I ran into problems with multiple objects (parented), each object is IDmappered individually. But IDmapper uses same color on different objects, which resulted in unwanted selection in Substance Painter.

What’s the best method to ensure no same color is used in all individual parts of a parented object?

In the Texture Paint workspace in Vertex Paint mode (or weight paint mode) , if you select IDMapper from the Paint menu at the top, a small folded dialog will be at the bottom. If you expand that one all the options wille be there as in the screenshot shown below

regards,

– Michel.

if you have identical objects that you want to have unique color you can choose a diffierent ‘seed’ when you calculate the colors. It the option near the bottom in the options panel.

regards,

– Michel.