Fracture Road Problems

Hi, I am trying to make a hole in a road like it was hit by a bomb or something. I took a mesh and subdivided the center part more and then ran Fracture. I am not too pleased with the results. Anyone have any tips as to how to make it look better?

1. How would I push up the pieces of road only around the hole. Can I use some kind of modifier for that?

2. I am not sure why but after I ran Fracture it created a raised part around the outside. Anyone know why and how to prevent this?

Attachments

Hey :slight_smile: If you dont mind to use a special blender build (which is based on 2.78a by now, so it should be feature compatible) please try the Fracture Modifier Build: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?343637-Custom-Build-Blender-Fracture-Modifier .

With this you can simulate situations like this one quite easily

This screenshot is part of a simulation where the sphere comes from below and crashes thru the surface.

Here is the blend file… but note it works only in the recently released 2.78a Fracture Modifier build .
road_fracture1.blend (799 KB)

And the raised part around the outside may be either due to the ground being a negatively scaled cube or a non-manifold plane, both things the boolean modifier which is used with cell fracture doesnt like :slight_smile:

scorpion81

thanks so much. I am on mac so I will see if there’s a mac build of Fracture Modifier. Thanks. :slight_smile:

scorpio81,

Hi, sorry to bother you. I downloaded 2.78a but when I open your file I just see a plane and a sphere. No Fracture.

Hey, it does not work with official 2.78a… you need the osx build from here

http://df-vfx.de/fracturemodifier/

(thats the “official” FM build, based on 2.78a)

Its a separate branch which isnt officially included in blender (was rejected in review, there were differences in opinion about what design should be used and how it should be made “compatible” with official blender)

P.S. you need to run the animation (Alt A) to see the fracture happening :slight_smile:

ok. Thanks. Will wait for it to be in Trunk. :frowning: