Girl with baby dragon

Just a small project, nothing fancy. I made a crappy concept drawing and started modelling.
This is the result so far:

Attachments

1 Like

The girl is starting to look human :slight_smile:

1 Like

The baby dragon looks very endearing in the first post, and the girl is starting to look cute too.

Thanks Verysunshine! I’m quite satisfied about the dragon too. I used baby lizards as reference, and they are cute (IMHO)
I’ve made some clothes and color test for the girl. And moved away from the concept, after all it was very rough.

1 Like

I am now tweaking the geometry for rigging. I added a rigify armature and started to “balljoint” her :slight_smile:
This is just a trick I use as a visual reference to place the bones and the geometry around them (I remove them at the end). I basically pretend that the character is like a ball joint puppet and rig it accordingly.
The spheres are separate objects (I made them wire to see better), I place them where the joint would be in the puppet, then I snap the bone joint to them and place some edge loops around them. It helps.

1 Like

I’m moving away from the concept as I’m not satisfied with it…
The message I want to deliver is something like “Cool, I found a dragon!! Forget all those stupid dolls”… while the concept looks more like “I am a stupid doll with a random baby dragon”.
Any suggestion? Ideas?

In the meantime, another test with temporary material and pose. Rigging needs some tweaks…

1 Like

My thoughts are that her expression is maybe too bland. I’m pretty sure a “cute little kid” who prefers playing with dragons to dolls would have a bit of edge in her eyes. A hint of a smirk maybe. Something to suggest she’d be lethal if provoked?

*ETA: Looking at the concept again, I think you might have nailed the expression there.

Yep, thanks P3nT4! That is one thing.
And how about adding a doll planted in the grass? Something like this.

Ok, did a little sculpting. And added some detail.

the pose and look is really awesome , i like it

Thanks Smoot!

I’ve unwrapped the meshes, then used a script to get the curvature maps (see at the bottom of this post).
It helps with the texture painting, it is good basis upon which I can paint the textures for the low resolution models.
This is the result, after baking the vertex colors to the UV map:

This is the script, it’s from Smoking_mirror and Oscurart:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?356800-Curvature-Cavity-map
I case you want to use it, I changed the following piece of code, so it handles open meshes too:

for edge in vert.link_edges:
        angle += edge.calc_face_angle_signed()

return angle / length

to this:

for edge in vert.link_edges:
        try: angle += edge.calc_face_angle_signed()
        except: angle += 0

return angle / length

Ok, the texturing is almost there. I changed the colors and the pose.

Any feedback?

nah, the texturing wasn’t almost there at all. I remade it. Feedback?

Update:
Finished version here

1 Like

That new texturing looks so much nicer. The girl no longer looks like she is wearing a circus tent.