Tiler: Generate Mesh Patters (e.g. tiles)

Tiler: add-on for generating mesh patterns in Blender. Especially useful for tiles generation in architecture visualization applications.

Here you can watch the add-on presentation:

You can get the add-on from here: https://blendermarket.com/products/tiler-add-on

Tiler (version 1.1) RELEASE NOTES:

New features:

• displacement map generation,
  • interface update: now you can use 3 intuitive buttons to generate tiles: ‘Show Preview’, ‘Refresh Preview’ and ‘Generate Tiles’ buttons. Old keyboard shotcuts are still available,
  • support for tile packages (new tile packages coming soon),
  • new ‘mesh’ preview type which shows full geometry of limited number of tiles to be generated,
  • preset interface improvements.

The major feature of new release is displacement map generation. It allows you to create displacement map from the generated tiles just with a few clicks, simultaneously for all walls. The procedure is as follows:

• you generate the tiles using standard add-on functionality,
• after the tiles are generated you can optionally perform some modifications on them (e.g. add some modifiers),
• in the next step you have to provide UV map for the map generation. You can create some on your own, but more convenient option is to use the add-on functionality to generate automatic UV map for you - in such case you don’t have to select any specific geometry nor add any seam, you just click single button and the UV map of the building walls is ready for you immediately,
• in the last step you simply click ‘Generate Displacement Map’ button and that’s it: the add-on will do the rest for you.

The add-on also has the ability to integrate with ImageMagic tool (available for free) in order to give you an option to antialias generated map with minimal effort. All you have to do is to install ImageMagic tool (Q16 version) and then simply choose desired antialiasing level in the add-on options.

You can watch the full video presentation of displacement map feature below:

In order to get more details regarding displacement map generation procedure read the add-on documentation.

Tiler (version 1.2) RELEASE NOTES:

• pattern presets were added to the Multi Mode. The image below presents all patterns currently available:

Tiler (version 1.2.2) RELEASE NOTES:

‘Align to center’ mode was added. The difference between standard and new mode is depicted in the image below.

2 Likes

Looks really nice, i see something similar in Lightwave LWCad plugin and now we have it for blender :slight_smile:

You don’t like a lot geometry in your scene, I guess. So what about generating displacement maps from tiles instead of actual mesh? Thanks to that you could keep geometry in the scene limited and still maintain decent quality. Add new feature of Blender 2.78: micropolygon displacement to it and you will get quite powerful tool :slight_smile:

I prepared a video presenting how the beta version of this feature works:

Holy hell, this is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for for a while…Much appreciated glukoz!

EDIT: So I went ahead and bought it and I have to say this is definitely worth the money. This works exactly as I needed and it works very fast. The only weird “bug” I found is that in Blender 2.78a, the tiles don’t change as the parameters are changed like in the video.

First I have to apologize for late response.

In order to refresh the preview you need to press ‘Q’ button.

So the workflow is as follows:

1. Click ‘Generate Tiles’ button. Preview will appear.
  2. Start tweaking the parameters. Click ‘Q’ button every time you want to refresh the preview.
  3. When you are fine with the result click ‘A’ button to generate actual tiles.

If you have more questions feel free to ask here :slight_smile:

Displacement map generation feature coming soon:

:slight_smile:

Tiler version 1.1 is ready!

Tiler (version 1.1) RELEASE NOTES:

New features:

• displacement map generation,
  • interface update: now you can use 3 intuitive buttons to generate tiles: ‘Show Preview’, ‘Refresh Preview’ and ‘Generate Tiles’ buttons. Old keyboard shotcuts are still available,
  • support for tile packages (new tile packages coming soon),
  • new ‘mesh’ preview type which shows full geometry of limited number of tiles to be generated,
  • preset interface improvements.

The major feature of new release is displacement map generation. It allows you to create displacement map from the generated tiles just with a few clicks, simultaneously for all walls. The procedure is as follows:

• you generate the tiles using standard add-on functionality,
• after the tiles are generated you can optionally perform some modifications on them (e.g. add some modifiers),
• in the next step you have to provide UV map for the map generation. You can create some on your own, but more convenient option is to use the add-on functionality to generate automatic UV map for you - in such case you don’t have to select any specific geometry nor add any seam, you just click single button and the UV map of the building walls is ready for you immediately,
• in the last step you simply click ‘Generate Displacement Map’ button and that’s it: the add-on will do the rest for you.

The add-on also has the ability to integrate with ImageMagic tool (available for free) in order to give you an option to antialias generated map with minimal effort. All you have to do is to install ImageMagic tool (Q16 version) and then simply choose desired antialiasing level in the add-on options.

You can watch the full video presentation of displacement map feature below:

In order to get more details regarding displacement map generation procedure read the add-on documentation.

Trying this addon out and, maybe I’m totally dumb, but nothing is happening. I hit “generate” and nothing happens. I’ve got a cube with a little roof. I select the four faces of the “roof.” I pick the cube in the selection box. I even tried marking the edges sharp, like in the video. Nothing. Has anyone else gotten this to work?

You set ‘Tile Object’ field to ‘Cube’ which is incorrect. In ‘Tile Object’ field you can choose your own object which will to be used as tile model, NOT the object you want to put tiles on.

So assuming you want to put tiles on the ‘Cube’ object, then you have to select the ‘Cube’ object and switch to the Edit Mode. Next you have to choose the tile model which will be used. You can use one of the predefined tiles provided with the add-on, in such case just leave the ‘Tile Object’ filed empty and choose the desired tile from the ‘Tile Type’ drop-down menu. Another option is using your own object as the tile model, in such case you have to choose this object in ‘Tile Object’ field.

In case you have any other questions or issues, or something is still unclear, feel free to ask in this thread :slight_smile: In case you experience any issue, I also recommend reading add-on documentation- it is likely that you find the solution there before I answer your question :slight_smile:

I hope that you have already noticed that Multi Mode of the Tiler add-on is quite powerful tool which allows you to create practically unlimited number of unique patterns from many tile models. The only tricky thing is providing math formula which describes desired pattern - sometimes it is no so straightforward, especially for people with no programming background. This is the motivation behind new feature of the Tiler Add-on: pattern presets.

New version of the Tiler add-on comes with a set of catchy pattern presets. You don’t have to perform any math calculations or programming in order to use them. Just choose a pattern from drop-down list, adjust its parameters, add desired tile models to the list and you can immediately start placing the pattern on walls or roof. The image below presents all patterns currently available (in order to examine the image right click on it and select ‘Open image in new tab’ option). If you have an idea for some other, interesting pattern feel free to contact me, I will implement it and add it to the set of pattern presets :slight_smile:

RELEASE 1.2.1 is ready. This small release contains some bug fixes and one new feature implemented on special request of one of the customers: aligning to wall center. The standard mode of add-on operation is laying tiles starting from bottom-left corner of a wall (so the first tile is aligned to the corner). When “align to wall center” option is enabled then tiles are being laid in such a way that one tile is placed perfectly in the wall center. You can see the difference between two modes in the picture below.

As usual the new release is available for customers without a charge. You can download it from Blender Market

In case any of you has some ideas for new features or improvements for the add-on then feel free to contact me - I will consider implementing it the near future :slight_smile:

Thanks for implement that option, key tile to the center of the wall or plane; it will be event more awesome if you can adjust the key tile location option. Let say you want the edge or corner of the tile at the center of the plane (Ctrl+E) -> “Mark_Sharp”

RELEASE 1.2.2 is ready. This minor release adds feature requested by Jakroval in previous post: now you can adjust the key tile position by setting Horizontal Translation and Vertical Translation properties accordingly. It also fixes alignment bug in Align to center mode - special thanks for a customer who has reported it.

The new release is available for customers at Blender Market.

Thanks for making the key tile placement adjustable.

glukoz

In case any of you has some ideas for new features or improvements for the add-on then feel free to contact me - I will consider implementing it the near future :slight_smile:

It’s possible to have a differents Models below:

1 - Metal Roof Tile

2- Corrugated Metal or Iron Sheet

Profile Corrugation

2- Trapezoidal steel roof panel

3-Roofing Accessories

http://www.nordman.ie/images/accessories.gif

Roof Designer (Plugin, Roof+Accessories) for 3ds

Attachments

Model_Corrugated_Sheet.blend (786 KB)

Today I uploaded minor update of the add-on:

RELEASE 1.2.3

• fix for a bug in preset export functionality (bug reported by user)
  • new tiles alignment option (start from right side) - functionality requested by another user.

As always you can download the update for free if you bought the add-on already.

Add-on site: https://blendermarket.com/products/tiler-add-on

Also another issue was reported to me preventing generating tiles on walls with holes. As this bug is not straightforward to solve quickly I provide a simple workaround which allows to generate tiles in such situation, you can see entire procedure in this short video:

Glukoz, will you add metal roof type in the future?

Currently I don’t have much time to create models of new tiles… but I am looking forward to start cooperation with a modeler who would like to create such new sets of tiles for the add-on. The point is new tiles could be sold independently (as separate product) on Blender Market because Tiler add-on already provides support for tile packages: a customer can simply buy a new package, load it smoothly into Tiler and immediately start using new tiles for their projects :slight_smile: If you are good modeler willing to cooperate on this add-on please send me a private message.

Hello, I really like your addon and I’m considering buying it.

Would you like to know before buying it if you plan to bring it to Blender 2.8?

Thanks.

I need to check how much work will be needed in order to accomplish this. I will do a research and let you know :slight_smile: