Texture over a ramp material

Hi quick question.

I have a material shaded in a toon style using a ramp. It all looks great and as I want it but I’d like to add a couple of textures on a few of the objects whilst maintaining this shading. The textures are simple single colours saved as transparent pngs but I need these colours to match the shading of the material. I’ve tried a few blend modes but the colour of the texture doesn’t look right and I’m not sure if it is matching the shading correctly. Which blend type do you recommend or should I apply the texture via another method?

Just a little bump to see if can get any help on this. I’ve managed to sort of get it working using nodes, but it’s a little messy and makes it quite time consuming to make new materials. I’ll try and simplify the question a bit to see if it makes it clearer.

So I have a simple shader with a lambert ramp in the diffuse slot. I’m using Blender Render for this (can’t use cycles for what I’m doing) and and all I want to do is add a texture over the top so that it is affected by the shading in the diffuse slot. Anyone have any ideas? Thought it’d be simple but not finding much information online regarding to applying textures in Blender Render.

Thanks - if this still isn’t clear just let me know and will try clarify again.

Hi…:slight_smile:

Maybe if you post your blend file…It will be easier to help You…Sorry I can’t help You…I’m not sharp in blender render.

But in Cycle You just mix 2 diffuse materiale…1 with the Ramp and other with Texture…This will mix them together.

Tai

Hi,

Thanks for response but I can’t post my file really. However the material issue is a new thing so I think a screenshot should be enough since I’ve not successfully passed this bit.

So attached is the basic shader - works as it should when applied to objects. I just need to add a texture over this so that it retains the shading of this base. When I try mixing a texture using blending modes, it doesn’t retain the colours of the texture. I don’t know much about Blender Render myself, so might need a bit of help on this one.

Hi

Dunno if this is right…I set up a Ramp in the materiale box Then I just load a texture in Texture tab and selected both.
See picture.
I did not change other settings in Texure tap…This mix the ramp and picture together…Hope someone can help You a little more…:slight_smile:

Tai

Hi thanks for the response. Yes your screenshot looks like what I’m trying to achieve but it looks like I’m doing something wrong as I’ve tried that but the texture appears black and I can’t see the ramp. I’ve just started a basic scene with standard lighting and a cube material to map to keep this simple. Another screenshot attached to show the issue.

Hi

This is what i did.

I add a Materiale to the sphere…Then add the texture in texture tap…

Back to materiale tap…in there I select the ramp in the Diffuse box.

Thats it…Remember You need light to see it.

Hope someone can explain it better for You

Tai

Ah I’ve figured it out! I didn’t have the input in the diffuse panel set to shader and had the factor value too high. Looks just like yours now and can play around with blending modes to get it just right. Sorted - can get on with the project now. Thanks for your help.

Good You get it solved…:slight_smile:

Tai