2nd grade show and tell

My kid is going to show at school a math game I made with blender. I want her to show and tell open source software. So can you in 15 to 30 seconds explain OS to 2nd graders. Please replay as i would like many opinions or complete 15 second presentation.

“OS” normally refers to “operating system”, not “open source”.

In short, open source is just like other software except that users have access to the source code used to build the program. That means if they have the skill they can change how the program operates at a very low level - not just the colors, for example, but adding entirely new features that the program doesn’t normally do.

Open source developments typically have a lot more user-level input, including the ability to build and submit patches to fix identified problems. Development in certain ways is faster as “cool features” get the most attention. This can have a downside as features that are not as popular (such as documentation) or more difficult to keep up-to-date can end up being ignored and eventually not supported. There can also be a wide variety of coding styles, from nasty hack jobs to beautifully optimized (but equally impossible to understand).

Maybe she can say something like this. How is this?

Software is programs and aps.
Software is made out of written codes.
Software can cost lot and lots of money.
Games like Roblox is made with software.
Open source software is always free.
Open source software is used to make. movies, games, pictures and more.
This game is made with a open source program called Blender.
( I can upload the game I made, latter)

Not bad… a few tweaks though.

“Software is lists of instructions.” Might make it a bit easier to understand and demonstrate.

“Open Source software is sometimes free.” Being open source doesn’t prevent collecting licensing fees etc., just as traditional closed source software can be free. There is always a cost being paid even if it isn’t money. With free software the “money” being spent is other peoples donated time, and there shouldn’t be an expectation there will always be someone willing to do work without compensation.