sync an animation to events in video footage

This post is just a mess! Please have mercy.

First, I lurk quite a bit and search and read. I am honestly stuck. I am finally at a point were I “think” I can use Blender for any little project. I am mainly using it for the VSE and python scripting and general jackassery. I am looking for some direction because I am not using the correct keywords in any of my searches.

How would you make an animation where changes in the animation occur based on events in video footage. I just want to add a working scoreboard to my kid’s basketball game footage. Not live. Completely for when the players are watching game film.

1st idea - via script capture the frames in the running footage when a score occurs and send the frames to the console. Also in this wave I made ordered pairs (10023,2) (11934,1) (12834,3) into 2 lists ie the frame and value of the hoop. I have to watch the game twice to get both teams “score frames.”

2nd I thought I could get data and pump the info into animation nodes to build the animation via csv data. I might be close there. I can parse the data but I am not using loops correctly. I messed with the squence nodes in AN but didn’t get very far. So I need a sequence node that get marker data out as a time … yes?

3rd I tried to make a manual controller object that each time I moved the empty the score changed. Much like the coins tutorial on blenderdiplom.com. Can you watch footage in blender and collect keyframes? Couldn’t get that to work. When O moved my empty with auto-keyframing on, no keyframes were shown in the timeline.

4th make button in the UI to capture frames, score value

Can I use “markers” to indicate when animations of the score changing occurs in relationship to the footage? Is there an accessible list that holds the marker data?

I got tired of the blender stack exchange pop up telling me “this question might be subjective.” No joke!

Have a great day and thank you for your time.

Tom

Shouldn’t be that hard. Just import your footage in the Sequence Editor, place it in the corner of your workspace, so you can see it next to your animation, or add it as a background image in the 3D View. Set a few marks in the Timeline if you want. Then just animate the objects in and out as you need them, timing them to the video you imported. Can’t see why you need all sorts of complicated scripts and rigs to do something this straight forward.