How do I recreate a ship using pictures of ribs and a side profile of the ship?

Hello guys,

I’m new to Blender and I’ve never attempted organic modeling before. I would like to recreate a MO-4 type subchaser and the only structural information I could find for it was : 1)An image depicting 10 ribs frontally and in sequence 2)An image showing the ship from an orthographic side perspective ,with the longitudinal positions of the aforementioned ribs marked and numbered. Pretty much what one would use as a skeleton for a ship model build in real life. The problem is ,how to I make proper use of this data to accurately make the ship? I’ve seen some generic ship modeling tutorials ,but none of them seems to really fit my case. Here are the images :

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Tutorials/Modeling/Surfaces/Skinning

Thank you ! This technique seems to be quite fruitful ,however ,I seem to have just a little bit of trouble joining the 2 hull sides at the forepeak and creating the rearmost surface of the ship. Could I get around it without leaving the scope of this method or is there a way to do it through NURBS ? Also ,can I adjust the sharpness of the curve at certain points ,like the rectangular beam that runs under the ship’s hull?

Well the rub here is if you did it with curves you convert it to a mesh & finish it off, this tutorial does not say that. There is a longer version of it somewhere on the web, sorry for that. You can use Nurbs, but you may have the same problem. I’m not real good with Nurbs, so some one else might jump in on that. As far as getting the profile right (square beam) you change your ‘handle type’ to get what you want. I work with a ‘mirror modifier’ when i’m building the profiles so I only have todo half as much work, but you have to ‘apply’ it before you ‘skin’ it.

I see. It’ll take a mixture of procedures to get there then. Thanks for the tips !