Lost file

I have been working on test run animation for a new character and have been saving iterations as I go. Last night I wanted to try something new so I selected save as and entered a new file name. After testing I decided to go back to the old file, however it was not longer in my folder. It was completely gone! not even in my system trash bin.

Fortunately I had another iteration previously save so I didn’t loose much, but it sorta scares me that a file can simply disappear like that.

Any ideas what might have happened. Is this a Blender thing?

never had this happen. could hdd failure be possible?

I’m wondering about that. I am using a external drive (backed up on a regular basis). I use this so I can work on the project during lunch at work. I did have a message pop up this morning at work when I plugged the external drive in asking to fix it - it is he the second time I have had this in the last couple of weeks. I think I will look into getting a new drive.

try a nuke on the drive. sometimes bad file systems cause things like this.

on second thought, this is an issue i have encounteted on windows 10. windows 10 takes ownership of your computer, and prevents outside tampering.

the rule of thumb is “what happens in 10, stays in 10”. i tried copying files on a 7 computer to the 10 hdd and the files vanished when booted into 10 again.