Modellling to a background image

Hi. I have a pretty basic question.

I’m currently modelling to a background image. However, when I fit my mesh to my background image, I have to distort the mesh to the point where it looks nothing like what I’m trying to model at different angles. Surely this isn’t a feasible way to blend and it will affect me down the line. Do I need a side view image and a top view image to remedy this? For example:

Any tips are much appreciated.

Attachments

You have aa add-on tool called BLAM - the camera calibration toolkit that will help you with this a lot. Sadly it doesn’t work with the newest Blender versions, you’ll have to download some of the older ones from github, don’t know which ones since I haven’t used this for a very long time, you’ll just have to search for yourself.

Thanks for the response.

So there are no ways to get around this problem without downloading an old version of Blender?

Should I just continue modelling to the background image despite the fact that everything is out of proportion?

You can match camera focal lenght by ‘hand’! First look at the image exif data if data about camera and lens is there. If not you can match it by hand.

If you fail i can match you this camera settings if you want. Just provide me with this background image that you are using.

Take care.

I’m a bit confused. I’ve attached the reference image to the OP. Thanks for the help.

Ok i will set the camera and give you the Blend. I will do it after i finnish work in couple of hours.

Take care.

Ok i ve had a few minutes and i think i got it. Sensor size stays default at 32mm and focal is 22mm.

And here is the blend…

https://www.sendspace.com/file/3vzh94

You will have to account for barrel distortion at the end but that is minimal. Let me know…

Take care

It seems to work perfectly. Thanks a lot. How did you do it?

I think i will do a short tutorial about this subject one day.

But in short using lock camera to view, snaping and revolving around 3D cursor…

And yeah…rotate the image 3deg conter-clockwise before you start…TIP

Take care.