Need help with deformation on joints

Hi,

I’m having trouble with the model below where the joints bend past 45 degrees an ugly crease appears and because I’m using the toon-shader it really shows up. When I parented the rig to the model I used automatic weights and it turned out pretty good except the arm joints.

Is this a case of weight painting? Because I really suck at that :frowning:

I recomend you put 2 more slices in the elbow …
that is you have 3 slices there now… use 5 or more…

then you may have to weight paint a bit or weight assign the vertices to get them to act right…

will try that now

This is what it currently looks like…i’ve tried to do it several times and keep resetting it back to this…
No matter what i try there’s an ugly fold

OK making progress. the right arm is fine…i think with the toon-shader you have to be conscious of the angle at all times. Problem now is the left arm. I’ve copied the weight painting as much as i can but there’s a weird dent in the arm that shows up as a line at render. cant for the life of me shift it

Nvm…got it lol.

sorry for boring people haha :slight_smile:

Well okay… go watch this video… it should help to smooth some of this stuff out…

start at around 9:00 to get to the pertinent information…

or watch the whole thing… Nathan Vegdahl is the one of Blenders Top Riggers and an Excellent Teacher on the subject…
we all wish he made more Tutorials…

Try out some of the ideas in this tutorial… I I learn some thing from it every time I go back and watch it…

Then come back and tell us if it solved anything or if your still having some issues…

I solved that problem thanks, now several more are visible. Looks like patience is going to be needed here, thanks for the video.

Post us some animation when you get it working…

don’t be afraid to ask some more questions…

Will do. This weight painting is a bit of an art isn’t it? currently trying to stop his arse and belt from travelling up his back when he sits down :slight_smile:

This weight painting is a bit of an art isn’t it?

Yes… I rarely use it… I normally do the assign weight thing… as in the video above… except I always start out by using AutoMajic weights…

yeah im going to try the technique in the video tomorrow, the weight painting is good but its not precise enough at this time it seems

painful butt problems ahoy!

Decided to completely redo this…I make a lot of mistakes and have learned a wee bit more since then so going for round 2…