iPhone 7 Matte Black surface finish

Hello Guys!

I am relatively new to blender. I am using blender for precision modeling of products. As part of my learning process, I am currently trying to model and render the iPhone 7. I needed help in understanding how I can get the surface finish of the metal body to resemble the real one. I am attaching a few pics and links to help you guys understand exactly what I am looking for. I really hope someone can help me out! :slight_smile:

The Images attached are from: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+7+Teardown/67382
There is also a good 4K video here for a close look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vYfAqEyGV0

Thanks!

What have you tried? Show us the progress of your model and materials, what are the problems, what do you not understand etc.

try with some simple noise and don’t try to use total black = 0 use like 0.1
and play with diffuse ad glossy roughness

happy cl

Hey guys! So sorry for not replying sooner. Precision modelling took a lot of time. But I am done now! :slight_smile: @rickyblender, I have done exactly that, used simple glossy and noise texture. But it still feels a little off. @kesonmis, I had not done much when I posted this.

The first image above has a noise texture attached to the displacement material input. The next two are simple glossy. Here is another render of the back side with some noise texture

depends how matte you want it and how much roughness bumps needed

left ex is very small bumps middle = 0
and right is strong bumps noise

happy cl

Attachments

use a mix with diffuse and glossy
should work better I think

may be try with the bump node instead of the displace

and noise at 900 seems a bit high
try to lower it and see what it gives then re adjust it

happy cl

Attachments

can you upload the back casing for testing ?

thanks
happy cl

i don’t have an I 7 phone
but looking at first pic I don’t think there is any bumps on this it looks rather flat.

so just lower the bumps strength to a min
but I would say there is some sort of texture flatten on it
like noise texture

so you could sent the noise output to the FAC of the mix shader and see how it looks

also this is very diffuse almost no glossy at all
so increase roughness on the diff and glossy node!

happy cl

The micro facets on the shell of the iPhone 7 are big enough to just about make them out with the naked eye.

An alternate approach, if I may? I would treat the surface less like small bumps, and more like small paint flakes. You can mix a voronoi cells texture with R-0.5 G-0.5 B-1.0 (tangent normal) to give the flakes of paint slightly varying facing directions. This will give you glints of sharp highlights without the surface looking bumpy.

Here’s an example. The cells are enlarged on the left to show you what it’s doing. Note that compressing the jpeg image softened the effect a bit.

the only pic showing any noise is the first one
the others all look totally un textured

anyone has a close up pic of an I7 ?

thanks
happy cl

There only is 1 picture. If you mean the mesh on the right, you need to open the image in a new tab and zoom in to see the effect.

Try the method yourself. I promise you it’s a very physically accurate representation and it looks better when it’s not a compressed jpeg. :slight_smile:

sorry I was not talking about your render
I was talking about OP pictures in first post

your picture seems to give some small noisy texture too
but is it like the real one don’t know ?

thanks
happy cl

Oh well no worries. :slight_smile:

Yes it is like the real thing. I have spent a lot of time over the years studying various material properties. It’s a minor obsession of mine. :smiley:
Metal alloys are made up of tiny crystal plates called grains. Depending on the type and finish of the alloy, these grains can look a lot like voronoi cells.

Here is an example of an alloy under a microscope. Those grains are not perfectly planar so they will catch glints of light at different angles.
http://www.metallographic.com/Images/Rhenium-Etched.jpg

your method looks good too
but is it like the real one ?

thanks
happy cl

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your question. You asked that in your last post and I answered you. With a real world picture.

I am trying out the suggestions you guys gave me. For high-resolution closeup pics of the matte black iPhone, I browsed through Apple’s official site. I also found great pics in this disassembly article by ifixit-

I have a Matte Black iPhone with me. When you look at it with the naked eye, hardly any bumps are visible. It feels very smooth upon touch. The material that I am most reminded of when I look at it is graphite. The surface of the phone does have a texture similar to dark shading on paper using a graphite lead pencil.

As requested, I shall attach the blend file for the back casing. It is by no means perfect, but I hope it is good enough! :slight_smile:

ip7 frame.blend (6.69 MB)

might need more then one black
top seems to be almost flat no noise or vey little
very matte so increase roughnes on diffuse and glossy to get matte mat

also add some HDRI map to get better reflections

try this set up

happy cl

Attachments

ip7-1.blend (2.05 MB)