Disco Ball Cycles Material

Hello people, first post here!

I’m trying to achieve a disco ball material using blender cycles and I thought it would be pretty straight forward using Brick Texture but I am having troubles with the reflections, which are too smooth for a disco ball.

Here a real disco ball:

Here is the node setup:

How could I modify the displacement or affect the reflections so they reflect like independent faces and getting that pixelated effect on the ball?

Thanks!

Your sphere is smooth shaded for a start. Try turning off smooth shading.

Your next problem is that the bricks now won’t line up with the mesh. No easy fix to this. You could use one of the wireframe shaders that are kicking about - but these will make your ball look too uniform.

The best way to achieve this effect IMO would be to model it rather than use a material. Your poly count wouldn’t me much higher and the end result would be much more accurate. The material would also be very simple (essentially a single white glossy shader with zero roughness).

I don’t know if you could use a particle system or array modifier to distribute the mirror squares over the surface of the sphere (might be worth asking in the modelling sub forum) - but even placing them by hand wouldn’t take all that long.

Could try this technique: Link.