Greetings all, new to Blender, exercise

So, essentially, I’m learning Blender, and I’ve decided to try and do 3D art assets for an original, fictional alien specie and some power armor for them. This is my second “serious” attempt at 3D modelling with Blender - I’ve done a bunch of exercises as to learn and understand how it works and so on.

Essentially, I want to wind up with some usable 3D assets of the following:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]462808[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]462809[/ATTACH]

From what I understand, ideally, I’d make a male and female base mesh, which I’d then turn into “bodysuits” for power armor and actual bodies. For now, I just have the male basemesh done:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]462807[/ATTACH]
So, for the body suit, now, I’d simply select certain areas and extrude them, and work on detailing, which I’ll do once both the male and female bodies are done.

So, I have a few questions and requests, so that I may best learn how to work with Blender and improve my workflow as a whole:

1. As it stands, is there any potential problems with the base body mesh which could cause me problems later on?
  2. If I was to continue the base mesh towards an actual male of the body, should I go for sculpting or editing and working with the vectors?
  3. I haven’t found many tutorials or posts on doing furred creatures, so what would be the best in my current scenario, to simply make some fur details and textures or actually use the mesh as a hair particle emitter?

Adding female mesh:

Criticism and advice greatly appreciated