Very easy procedural worn-off edges node setup

Hi there,
I am possibly re-inventing a wheel here, but I couldn’t find anything like this. There was always something missing.

Recently I started to think of some sort of procedural worn-off edges generator, or node set up.
This is what I have come up with. It consists of pointeness and musgrave texture - eventually it can be used for non-straight edge mask, that can be animated using an Empty object for instance.

It’s not 100% perfect, but I tried on few models, and at least it can be used for baking sort of a starting-point-mask.

Hope it helps someone.

jadoon

Attachments

ProceduralJaggedPointinessAndEdge.blend (722 KB)

P.S. I meant it’s not perfect at all. :slight_smile: Just nice thing to play with. Blend file attached.

cool stuff

Thanks! I’ll learn from this.

thank you bro!!

Thanks this is great! Been thinking about trying to do something like this for awhile… but just haven’t had time to explore it …

It is good to see all those different approaches to achieve dirt and decay shading! As many alternatives so much gain!

I did find the link to the thread recently… and I thought that it deserves dropping a ‘thanks’ note. Besides, getting it to the focus again may make some people seeing it for the first time and enrich their ideas on such matters. : - )