Matthew Bennett Sketchbook

Practice with HardOps this morning - inspired by my mug of coffee apparently.
Most materials are the PBR Plastics, Coffee is actually from the CMV.

1 Like

Saw a video on rigging a universal joint:

Then in the comments I saw link to some awesome mechanical work:

So I just had to make my own:

Also made a video with freestyle:

1 Like

Pretty happy with this one.

I also watched an instructional video on these, didn’t realize that while the left piece has constant rotation velocity, the right side does not. If you then link another U-Joint, the end of that one would again be constant.

The Black plastic is from the Cycles Material Vault - although I added a pointiness shader to blend in some lighter color on the edges. Also on the orange color, but it’s a bit more subtle.

1 Like

Nice looking mug and I really dig the universal joint! Cool stuff.

Thanks - it was a really fun project!
I flicked through your WIP dump thread - kinda fun to see the progress over a long time.

Great work here.

Your imagination is excellent…The way You transform a mug to a space capsule…Rofl

The Joint…Looks Perfect for Me…Puff Puff

Tai

Followed Gleb’s fun Micropolygon displacement tutorial:

Also used a lot of HarOps for creating my own depth map.

1 Like

Using my Harmonograph addin with the dampening set to zero to create a 3d lissajous curve, then rendered with freestyle:

Addon:

Holy Crap. I like what I see. Especially that Universal Joint animation.

A bit of fun with HardOps, and also was watching the Humane Rigging videos on YouTube which are fantastic - awesome how Nathan explains why they are rigging a particular way, instead of just showing what he is doing.

I will likely put my support and pick up the paid videos from here:
https://store.blender.org/product/humane-rigging/

Anyway - I haven’t animated the character yet, just had some fun posing:

Here’s the simple rig - but I was feeling pretty cool having the custom control shapes.
I still don’t have the eye’s completely correct.

Tried out a walk cycle - my first in blender. Needs work, but fairly happy with my first attempt.

1 Like

The prior attempt at walking was a in-place walk, and moving the floor. This go around I moved the guy. I’m pretty happy with the results.

1 Like

Had some fun rigging an iris, which then needed something for it - so I made another robot. Used the foot rocking rigging I learned from the Humane rigging tutorials. Done with a bit of hard ops, the cycles toon shader, and some freestyle.

1 Like

First sculpt attempt. Followed the Creature Factory video at Blender cloud.

1 Like

Went through the Corvette course from CG Masters - really happy with the results and all that I learned.