addon which detects and displays unused hotkeys??

I have 0 coding knowledge and that is probably not going to change in the near future, so mainly out of curiosity: would such a thing as a script/addon, that detects and lists unused hotkeys be hard to write or is there maybe already such a thing? I would assume that the usefullness of this is a matter of selfevidence and there are multiple solutions already available, but I couldn´t find any. I would love to tho. What am I missing?:confused:

I wrote a script a while back to list free keyboard shortcuts. It’s not perfect, but it works :slight_smile:
Run it from Blenders text editor, and it will create a new text called “Unused Shortcuts”.

Thanks for the reply EClaesson, this sounds fantastic! Unfortunately the link produces a “500 oops, something went wrong” error :frowning:

Strange… :slight_smile:

Let’s try over here then: https://gist.github.com/EClaesson/9f0e0ac6cedf2bfce5ffa7a978176664

@EClaesson: Thank you very very much, this is wonderful! :slight_smile:
@Richard Marklew: Thank you for the link! It´s a great little addon!

I now use both of these in combination. EClaessons script for cases where I don´t really mind what hotkey I use for an operation and the iskeyfree addon when I know that I want to use a certain hotkey and to make that hotkey available I don´t have to go to user preferences anymore. :yes:

Happy it was useful :slight_smile:

EClaesson: When running your script in Blender v2.78c, 2017-02-24 14:33, I get a list of more than 90 000 shortcuts, some of which I’m fairly sure aren’t free (like SHIFT+A).

Am I misunderstanding how to use it? I just open your .py in a Text Editor window and hit “Run Script”.

(Already left a note about this on github, but figured it couldn’t here to ask here too)