(request) feature row history

Just to say that I would love to have a top row history. If there’s none, maybe we could start it from now.
If no one plans on adding such a feature, maybe I could add it as a thread that I would edit every time there’s new artwork (at least when I have time), and if I forget it for too long, people could add the links in replies, so I could update the first post.

This has been brought up before. I agree that having a running history would be a nice feature, but the implementation that we have for the forum doesn’t have that. And yes, it is something we could maintain that manually… though I think if that were to happen, it would be in a closed thread, one image/link per post. The difficulty with anyone doing that, though, is that the thumbnail images would be added to each post as attachments. Eventually, whomever is managing the thread is going to run out of attachment space.

Really, the best solution would be for it to be automated.

That’s for sure. But in the mean time, we could have it the manual way and have the thumbnails linked from imgur or something, which would remove that limit.

I decided to start it.
See this thread.
I think the Agent 327 is a good starting point as it kind of starts a new era of film production with Blender.
I have a question though : is there a way to prevent the thread from automatically closing after one year so the original post can be edited indefinitely ?
Maybe we could even block additional posts ?

Also I think this thread belongs more to the Forum Gallery subforum but I don’t have the rights to add a thread there.

I’d need to check permissions to see if non-moderator members can edit the first post of a thread that’s been moved to Forum Gallery.

As for preventing the auto-lock… I’m not aware of a way to do it. Perhaps sticky threads get around it, but I’d need to check on that as well.

I just thought that anyway at some point I should separate it in multiple posts so we don’t have everything on a single huge page that takes forever to load. Maybe every 6 months or so (depends on how quickly it grows). So the thread shouldn’t close automatically as long as posts are added less than yearly.

We have plenty of super-long multi-page threads. I think sticking to one would be fine.

Besides, the best way to prevent auto-lock would be to add posts to the thread. Why not simply add a new post (or let others do so) when the feature row updates… and then (if necessary), keep the OP up to date as well?

Yes, that’s actually what I said, splitting in multiple posts (I think you understood “multiple threads”)

I decided to change the gallery host from an imgur album to this flickr group for these reasons :

• it allows to have several admins and members to contribute in keeping the gallery up to date ;
  • flickr plays more nicely with hyperlinks in image descriptions (which I use to link to the B.A. threads) ;
  • it displays the whole gallery much better.

However it applies “all rights reserved” licences by default on all uploaded thumbnails. Should I set them as public domain or any other licence, or does it matter at all ?

I’m still open to image host alternatives, especially floss ones, but so far I don’t know anything better suited than flickr.

All rights would be reserved by the original artists (unless otherwise specified). So if you’re just posting thumbnails and linking to the thread here (as we do in the top row), I don’t think it’d be a problem.

ok, that’s what I do too.

Question : I put 4 columns in the table because my screen can’t stack more than 3 without resizing the thumbnails but is it the same on any screen ?

On Flickr? It looks like it dynamically adds columns based on window width.

on the BA thread. I use a table but above 3 columns it starts shrinking the thumbnails and above 4 it adds a scrollbar at the bottom. My question was more : does the pixel width of the website (excluding margins) stay the same regardless of the monitor’s resolution ? But it seems like so because I just tested on a more high-res monitor and it’s the same, the margins are just bigger. I wonder how it looks on a 4k screen.

There is a maximum width for forum content, yes.

kay, thanks

I will be unable to maintain the gallery for 2 to 3 weeks in september. Could anyone just feed the thumbnails to the flickr group so I take it from there once I’m back ?

I’ve asked in many blender communities (twitter, IRC, dircord, reddit, mastodon) to find s.o to upload the thumbnails during 2-3 weeks as I’ll have no internet access. Does nobody have 5 minutes to give for that or am I doing it wrong ?

ah, it seems I found someone on Discord.

Excellent! So… solved? :wink: