Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 321 to 336 of 336

Thread: AMD new CPU RYZEN using blender to render.

  1. #321


    So Vega finally arrive, release date 14 August. The price look intersting, but not a game changer (imo)

    Here a nice comparative with also the new AMD CPU




  2. #322
    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    It's not illegal until a court decides that it is.
    No, it is illegal the moment you break the law. Trials are usually just a formality. If you're brought to court by government it is because there is heavy evidence that you're breaking the law. You're in deep until everything is cleared in your favor and with these corporations they are always found guilty or forced to settle.

    If you're talking about the USA law system where the balance can lean one way or the other depending how much money you can burn in lawyers you can save it for someone else.

    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    If you run an organization and you avoid doing anything that might be ruled illegal by some court somewhere, you couldn't do anything. Whatever Intel did wasn't clearly illegal when they attempted it, otherwise the financial risk of doing it would've outweighed the benefit.
    4 different law systems considered it illegal (EU, Japan, Korea and USA). Of course they did it knowing it was illegal and the benefits of doing it outweighed the pathetic slap in the wrists they got for abusing the market for 30 years. Intel dwarfed AMD to an irrelevant position just enough to make sure governments didn't force it to split their business.

    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    What if a court decided that AMD violated Intel's intellectual property rights and sale of their CPUs was illegal? It didn't happen, because the companies settled, but it could have happened. Would you have preferred that AMD never attempted to make a competing x86 chip?
    No, it couldn't. Intel and AMD settled because there was no other way out of it for any of them. In fact it was Intel's greed what allowed to make x86 CPUs for longer than the original 10 year agreement.



  3. #323
    Originally Posted by Esparadrapo View Post
    No, it is illegal the moment you break the law.
    It is a court that decides whether the law is broken or not.

    Trials are usually just a formality.
    Only if there has been plenty of precedent and there is no room for interpretation. That's certainly not the case here.

    If you're brought to court by government it is because there is heavy evidence that you're breaking the law.
    You can be brought to court by anyone, for almost any reason. The case may be thrown out and declared frivolous, of course. In either case, the loser pays the bills, which is why I'm not currently suing you for fun.

    You're in deep until everything is cleared in your favor and with these corporations they are always found guilty or forced to settle.
    In any legal system worth its salt, you're presumed innocent until proven guilty.

    If you're talking about the USA law system where the balance can lean one way or the other depending how much money you can burn in lawyers you can save it for someone else.
    There's a saying that goes "if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". The best lawyers can't change the law, but they can make a convincing case.

    4 different law systems considered it illegal (EU, Japan, Korea and USA). Of course they did it knowing it was illegal and the benefits of doing it outweighed the pathetic slap in the wrists they got for abusing the market for 30 years.
    Well, if it's the economically rational thing to do, then that's what they need to do. These are just regulations, breaking them is not a felony (as far as I'm aware). You can't expect a publicly traded company to lose money just to appear "ethical". If the penalties were higher, they'd stop as soon as it's presumed uneconomical.

    Intel dwarfed AMD to an irrelevant position just enough to make sure governments didn't force it to split their business.
    What are you arguing? That Intel is evil? Who cares? You're appealing to morality, but it makes no sense. Are you gonna buy up shitty old AMD CPUs to punish Intel for its misdeeds? I'm not gonna try and stop you.

    No, it couldn't. Intel and AMD settled because there was no other way out of it for any of them. In fact it was Intel's greed what allowed to make x86 CPUs for longer than the original 10 year agreement.
    If the companies settle, that only means neither wants to take the risk of losing the case. It means the outcome is undetermined. If AMD was dead sure to win, they wouldn't have settled, because that would've meant maximum profit for them (and vice versa).

    Calling a company "greedy" is just another appeal to morality. It makes no sense when it comes to business.



  4. #324
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,576
    Another rendition of splitting hair. Hope you're not bald already...

    Please, stay on topic and keep the politics in your trousers



  5. #325
    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    If the companies settle, that only means neither wants to take the risk of losing the case. It means the outcome is undetermined. If AMD was dead sure to win, they wouldn't have settled, because that would've meant maximum profit for them (and vice versa).
    This is not true at all. Sometimes you settle because the other company can afford to draw out a battle and you can't. In AMD's case it made more sense to settle rather than draw out a battle that even if they did win would have meant a lot of legal fees, minimum action (it's not like Intel was going to lose that much either way) and AMD maybe was looking to buy or had bought ATI at the time which means they needed the capital. Waiting around for a lawsuit to pan out would probably have killed them outright.



  6. #326
    BA Crew Fweeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    9,742
    Folks. Let's cut this out here and now. Part of the nature of a settlement is that no one really has to disclose the motivations for settling. The only absolute fact is that a settlement occurred. Everything else is conjecture or PR posturing. So let's not speculate further.

    In any case, this all wildly off-topic. Let's try to stay on topic, yes?



  7. #327
    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    What are you arguing? That Intel is evil? Who cares? You're appealing to morality, but it makes no sense. Are you gonna buy up shitty old AMD CPUs to punish Intel for its misdeeds? I'm not gonna try and stop you.
    I don't know how did you get to that conclusion from that sentence. I'm not talking about morals as I own an Intel CPU. Please stop daydreaming and making up stuff so you can presume to have won an argument.

    You don't win arguments, people just get tired of you and stop answering. Exactly in the same fashion I'm about to do now.

    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    Calling a company "greedy" is just another appeal to morality. It makes no sense when it comes to business.
    No, I'm not. I'm calling their strategy moronic.



  8. #328
    Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
    Sometimes you settle because the other company can afford to draw out a battle and you can't.
    That's a fair point, there are circumstances when pursuing the case would be unprofitable even if there's certain legal victory.

    I'm not referring to the antitrust case though, I'm referring to the trademark dispute about x86 (or rather x86 extensions). If AMD had been sure to win and *had won*, they wouldn't have had to make *any* concessions to Intel. If AMD had lost, they could've had their new CPUs banned from sale. In retrospect, it would've been great for everyone if AMD had won the case, because the grip that Intel has on x86 to this day dates back to that case. There were tons of competitors in the x86 market, back in the day.

    Originally Posted by Esparadrapo
    I don't know how did you get to that conclusion from that sentence.
    I don't know what your point is. You keep listing Intel's transgressions, but to what end?

    You don't win arguments, people just get tired of you and stop answering. Exactly in the same fashion I'm about to do now.
    Great! Just don't reply to me ever, we'll be fine. Don't forget that it is you who replied to a week-old post of mine. I don't even know what the argument is.

    Originally Posted by Esparadrapo
    No, I'm not. I'm calling their strategy moronic.
    So.. you by calling them "greedy" you are really trying to say their strategy is "moronic", yet you yourself say Intel succeeded in dwarfing AMDs market share with their anti-competitive tactics? You yourself claim that "the benefits of doing it outweighed the pathetic slap in the wrists they got for abusing the market for 30 years". So what's the logic there? They're successful! What's moronic about it?

    Originally Posted by Fweeb
    In any case, this all wildly off-topic.
    That is absolutely untrue, the business driving the semiconductor industry is way more interesting than the chips themselves and that's what people like to talk about, not just here but in every comment section on every tech site.

    As long as there aren't any hard numbers coming from Threadripper, there's little else to talk about anyway.



  9. #329
    Member Herbert123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1,436
    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post

    As long as there aren't any hard numbers coming from Threadripper, there's little else to talk about anyway.
    There is some news: Threadripper breaks the 5ghz barrier in an overclocking event. More than 4100 Cinebench points!

    https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ebench-record/
    /*----------------------------------------------------*/
    System: Win7 64bit - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode



  10. #330
    BA Crew Fweeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    9,742
    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    Originally Posted by Fweeb
    In any case, this all wildly off-topic.
    That is absolutely untrue, the business driving the semiconductor industry is way more interesting than the chips themselves and that's what people like to talk about, not just here but in every comment section on every tech site.
    Liking to talk about something is not a good metric for whether it's actually on-topic.

    This will be the last post I make on the matter in this thread. Further off-topic posts here will be deleted. You're welcome to discuss the topic you like in another thread.



  11. #331
    Originally Posted by Herbert123 View Post
    There is some news: Threadripper breaks the 5ghz barrier in an overclocking event. More than 4100 Cinebench points!

    https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ebench-record/
    LN overclocks are about he most arbitrary and least relevant scores you can post. No one is going to run an LN overclock for anything other than bragging rights. Breaking the 5Ghz barrier on LN is nonsense imo. I want relevant numbers that a user who buys that chip can actually achieve.

    That being said, AMDs Siggraph event was pretty cool. You could see where they are going with Zen and Vega. They want to merge or at least enable the CPU and GPU to work together and really they are the only ones in a position to do that right now. If they can pull it off it will be a gamechanger imo.



  12. #332
    Member Ace Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wichita Kansas (USA)
    Posts
    28,152
    More stats for AMD's threadripper chips is out
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...zen,35111.html

    Believe it or not, if you want to save a bit of money, AMD is coming out with an 8 core version which essentially resembles a souped up Ryzen 7 (Quad channel memory and 64 lanes like the others and higher clocks up to 4.2 Ghz). Though I would think there would still be a decent gap in pricing though compared to Ryzen vanilla due to the motherboards needed.
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook



  13. #333
    Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    More stats for AMD's threadripper chips is out
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd...zen,35111.html

    Believe it or not, if you want to save a bit of money, AMD is coming out with an 8 core version which essentially resembles a souped up Ryzen 7 (Quad channel memory and 64 lanes like the others and higher clocks up to 4.2 Ghz). Though I would think there would still be a decent gap in pricing though compared to Ryzen vanilla due to the motherboards needed.
    Yes, the 8-core Ryzen 7 is now an Option for upgrading theire Ryzen 3/5-System and have a A/B/X370 Motherboard.

    Technicaly the Threadripper-8-Core with X399 is an Option for People using many GPUs because of the 64 PCIe-Lanes and for People who have the Money.

    greetings
    Kai



  14. #334
    Member AustinC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Central United States
    Posts
    232
    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    They're not going to concsciously make a decision based just on the name. That doesn't mean the branding doesn't matter at all. It's still shitty branding which leaves a shitty aftertaste.
    I know this is an older post, but I couldn't ignore the irony of someone with a Homer Simpson avatar talking about the importance of branding. That truly is hilarious, and it does put a branding on how people will perceive your posts. Most communication is not done through words. This leaves a void when communicating with text that people will fill with whatever they learn about you, especially your avatar. I would never have thought that someone with that avatar would actually be that knowledgeable of branding.
    Working on motion graphics and Minecraft animations
    Blender 2.79 RC1 | Window 7 Pro
    Ryzen 5 1600| 8GB DDR4 2667 | HD 6770 1GB



  15. #335
    Member Ace Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wichita Kansas (USA)
    Posts
    28,152
    Review sites are starting to hint at just how powerful the Threadripper chip really is
    http://www.techradar.com/news/the-am...ve-ever-tested
    https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-...rmance-preview

    They confirm that Threadripper will become the new performance king when released (based on testing with the new Alienware PC), ripping through the Cinebench task in seconds rather than half a minute (meaning Maxon may have to build a new version with a tougher scene).

    The official benchmarks are still a few days away, but things look quite promising.
    Last edited by Ace Dragon; 07-Aug-17 at 11:42.
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook



  16. #336
    Linus tech tips reviewed the Alienware Threadripper edition here, with blender benchmarks:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=decz1N9YpOw



Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •