Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by thomascheng View Post
    I just overclocked my Ryzen 1800X from 3.6 to 4.2 ghz and everything runs stable (I could go higher, but didn't want to risk it). This was using the Asus 1 click overclocking. I pretty sure if I did it manually, I could get better results.

On Windows 10 (I know, slow rendering), I was able to get the following:

BMW i7 5820k : 6:54 sec
    BMW Ryzen 1800x : 5.03 sec
    BMW Ryzen 1800X OC to 4.2: 4.25 sec
    Windows 10 pro x64
    5960x @ 3.0Ghz 5:45 - 16x16 - Not my hardware

5820k @ 4.4Ghz 5:34 - 32x32

5820k @ 4.4Ghz 5:28 - 16x16

1700 @ 3.9Ghz 4:46 - 32x32

1700 @ 3.9Ghz 4:36 - 16x16

1700 @ 3.9Ghz 4:34 - 8x8

All at 256x256

GTX 970 3:55

GTX 970 3:48 CLI

GTX 970 3:41
    no display

GTX 970 3:34 no display 1.55 Ghz

GTX 1070 3:09

GTX 1070 2:52 CLI

GTX 1070 2:48 no display

GTX 1070 2:37 no display 2.13 Ghz

GTX 1070 *2 1:29

Radeon Pro Duo 1:19 1.15 Ghz

GTX 970+1070*2 1:07

Radeon Pro Duo+GTX 970 1:06

GTX 1080 Ti * 3 0:52 -
    Not my hardware

I cant manage to get 4.0 out of the ryzen but im gonna keep trying lol

The bigger difference on the 1070 and the 970 with no display is probably because I have 2 monitors on the 1070 machine and 1 lower resolution monitor on the 970 machine
    Last edited by LordOdin; 12-Apr-17 at 23:37.

Thank you very much LordOdin for the results.

So outside of ram limitation (well 8GB is plenty for most) GPU rendering is the way to go.
    Now that GTX 1080's price dropped.. and well there is still 1080ti.. ok TI is more of a wishful thinking. but still.

Thanks again, will sure influence my purchase decisions for sure.
    Dual Xeon X5-2687w :: 32GB ECC :: 3x RX 480

What motherboard do you have. I've been seeing people with the Asus Hiero not able to get above 3.9 for some reason, while other mobo can go higher.
    Ambocc Studios
    www.ambocc.com

I had already ordered an asus prime x370 but after I ordererd a few days later they informed me they were out of stock lol So I ordered this instead.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Prime-B3...asus+b350+plus
    Last edited by LordOdin; 23-Mar-17 at 18:48.

Originally Posted by LordOdin View Post
    I had already ordered an asus prime x370 but after I ordererd a few days later they informed me they were out of stock lol So I ordered this instead.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Prime-B3...asus+b350+plus
    I see, I had a prime hiero and it did not allow an option to use more than 2667 ram speed and it seem that overclocking didn't work well. I figure I update the bios to fix the problem and it bricked the motherboard. I returned it and got the x370 prime pro and got my higher ram speed and higher overclocking speed.
    Ambocc Studios
    www.ambocc.com

I finally got all my parts in... sorta. I'm now waiting on a bracket from Corsair for my CPU cooler. Lol! BTW, LordOdin, I waited my motherboard purchase out and wound up with the AsRock Taichi x370. Looks like it should be solid from the reviews that I've seen. Can't wait to put it through the paces!

I'm doing a fairly large smoke sim render. On my Ryzen 1800x, it is taking 1:50 to render a frame, but on my i7-5820, it is taking 3:25. The Ryzen almost double the speed for 100 dollars more. Kinda crazy!
    Ambocc Studios
    www.ambocc.com

Originally Posted by thomascheng View Post
    I'm doing a fairly large smoke sim render. On my Ryzen 1800x, it is taking 1:50 to render a frame, but on my i7-5820, it is taking 3:25. The Ryzen almost double the speed for 100 dollars more. Kinda crazy!
    You can get 1800x speeds with a 320 dollar 1700

Also that i7 would simulate the smoke significantly faster than the 1800x I ran a few tests I didnt write the times down but my 5820k at 4.4 ghz was significantly faster simulating smoke and water like 60% faster.. Im guessing this is because the smoke and fluid sim dont really make use of multi threading.. I know it uses all the threads but its so inefficient at using them its almost pointless
    Last edited by LordOdin; 05-Apr-17 at 21:49.

Originally Posted by Xraygunner View Post
    I finally got all my parts in... sorta. I'm now waiting on a bracket from Corsair for my CPU cooler. Lol! BTW, LordOdin, I waited my motherboard purchase out and wound up with the AsRock Taichi x370. Looks like it should be solid from the reviews that I've seen. Can't wait to put it through the paces!
    Gotta overclock

AMD has released tweaks for Windows 10 to make the chip even faster
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/31882...rformance.html

The speedups reported here applies to gaming, but it is possible they could also apply to single-threaded tasks or tasks in general (such as with things in Blender).

To those who now have a Ryzen machine, load up the new power plan and see what you get
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    AMD has released tweaks for Windows 10 to make the chip even faster
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/31882...rformance.html

The speedups reported here applies to gaming, but it is possible they could also apply to single-threaded tasks or tasks in general (such as with things in Blender).

To those who now have a Ryzen machine, load up the new power plan and see what you get
    Looks Like their power plan is worse than the high performance power plan if im reading that graph correctly.. I have always been on the high performance plan so I doubt there will be any improvement on anything

Can't wait for 16c/32t Ryzen chips. Maybe have to wait a year or two for the prices to come down, but that's probably my next logical upgrade. The price/performance can't be beat for compiling, rendering and math.
    CG enthusiast. Tools: Blender - Substance - Unity3D

Ryzen 5 reviews are coming out
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/31868...power-cpu.html

The benchmarks show the Ryzen crushing the i5 Intel chips in multithreaded tasks while showing mixed results for gaming. However, some of the newer games are actually started to run faster on the 5 than the equivalent from Intel (showing that some of the disappointing benchmarks for older games is not the entire story and can be turned around).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.

Time:00:52.10 | Mem:291.8M,Peak:291.84M |Done| Path Tracing Sample 150/150. I have an Intel Core I5-4670K CPU at 3.40Ghz with 8,00 GB (7,88 GB usable) with Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 and Windows 10 at 64 bit.

As I now may be in the market for a new PC, I decided to do a direct comparison between the people's CPU (Ryzen 5), the Ryzen 7, and the Kaby Lake i7 on the big CPU benchmarking site known as cpubenchmark.net

What I found about AMD's new chip spooked me to be honest, the Ryzen 7 may provide a notable boost in rendering performance, but the performance for single-threaded options would actually be a slight downgrade from my Ivy Bridge chip (yes, I compared it with the i7 3770 as well).

In a sense, the Kaby Lake seems to make more sense for Blender, as IPC and clockspeed still plays an important role in many areas of the app. and multithreaded areas like Cycles will inevitably get a lot faster due to the room they still have for optimizations (not to mention you pay 250 bucks more for the Octocore according to most vendors) . In all honesty though, it was good that AMD exceeded their IPC goal, as it is probably what saved the chip and allowed the CPU war to restart (which will benefit fans of both companies).
    Last edited by Ace Dragon; 21-Apr-17 at 19:51.

New drivers and improved performance for Ryzen
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/31929...rformance.html

One thing it does is give the Ryzen complete control over how much power it uses as opposed to letting Windows 10 decide (allowing the smart technology within the chip to function better). They benchmark for games though (so I'm not sure how much of a bump there is for general single-threaded functions).

New drivers and improved performance for Ryzen
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/31929...rformance.html

One thing it does is give the Ryzen complete control over how much power it uses as opposed to letting Windows 10 decide (allowing the smart technology within the chip to function better). They benchmark for games though (so I'm not sure how much of a bump there is for general single-threaded functions).
    I find it interesting how much power something can have but unoptimized drivers/software keeps it back.
    I can only give suggestions, personal opinions and constructive critique, but it is your decision what you do with it.

As I now may be in the market for a new PC, I decided to do a direct comparison between the people's CPU (Ryzen 5), the Ryzen 7, and the Kaby Lake i7 on the big CPU benchmarking site known as cpubenchmark.net

What I found about AMD's new chip spooked me to be honest, the Ryzen 7 may provide a notable boost in rendering performance, but the performance for single-threaded options would actually be a slight downgrade from my Ivy Bridge chip (yes, I compared it with the i7 3770 as well).

In a sense, the Kaby Lake seems to make more sense for Blender, as IPC and clockspeed still plays an important role in many areas of the app. and multithreaded areas like Cycles will inevitably get a lot faster due to the room they still have for optimizations (not to mention you pay 250 bucks more for the Octocore according to most vendors) . In all honesty though, it was good that AMD exceeded their IPC goal, as it is probably what saved the chip and allowed the CPU war to restart (which will benefit fans of both companies).
    my 1700 at 3.95 Ghz gets 2107 on this benchmark... which significantly surpasses a stock 1800x... my 5820k at 4.6 Ghz gets 2767 which beats every CPU on the chart

ImageGlass_2017-04-29_05-39-17.png

ImageGlass_2017-04-29_05-39-38.png

Originally Posted by LordOdin View Post
    my 1700 at 3.95 Ghz gets 2107 on this benchmark...=
    That still only matches my i7 Ivy Bridge Chip, which is several years old now.

In a sense, going for the Ryzen is making a bet that the near future will see a lot more processes in a lot more applications become multi-threaded (and it also makes a bet that AMD can squeeze a lot more performance out of the current chips with the help of its technology). Intel meanwhile would still appeal to those who want to play it safe and move forward on all aspects (single-threaded performance included, even though multithreaded performance won't see as big a leap).

I'm still leaning towards Kaby Lake, as it might be many years yet before we start to seriously see a diminishing importance of single-threaded performance (perhaps AMD will become the leader in that area eventually as well).

A good Ryzen machine is a little more than 1700 USD, it's a bit too much for me price-wise in the hopes that betting on Ryzen will really pay off.
    Last edited by Ace Dragon; 29-Apr-17 at 10:40.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast