Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 281 to 299 of 299
  1. #281
    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post

    Coffee Lake was the code name, the product name is still Core/Xeon. I don't into buy this "at least people are talking about it" idea. If people talk about how dumb their enterprise branding is, the next step is to question their business sense.
    Who are these "people" you are talking about. I doubt the enterprise will care what it's called as long as it has what they need. It's not like Xeon, Opteron, Itanium etc made any sense either. Don't conflate you opinion about the name as some indication that "people", especially in the enterprise actually care. I'm sure AMD has a marketing team and if they are doing their job they focused grouped the crap out of the name.



  2. #282
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    12
    That's what I mean. People i.e. enthusiasts will talk about it. They won't buy it but they might buy Ryzen.
    And as @apoclypse said, the enterprise doesn't give a flying hug about the naming scheme.
    Take a look at Nvidia's Titan X or Quadro. That thing looks like Transformers movie prop but I doubt they have any problems selling it.



  3. #283
    Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
    Who are these "people" you are talking about. I doubt the enterprise will care what it's called as long as it has what they need.
    I think you underestimate the vanity of enterprise people.
    It's not like Xeon, Opteron, Itanium etc made any sense either.
    It's not that the name has to make sense, it's that it should convey an impression that is fitting. Ryzen™, Epyc™ and especially Threadripper™ convey the image of a fourteen-year-old shitposting in the Youtube comments, while consuming Doritos and Mountain Dew.

    They're on a slippery slope that leads right down to this:


    Don't conflate you opinion about the name as some indication that "people", especially in the enterprise actually care.
    If the branding didn't really matter, why would they be spending time and effort on it? Maybe this is actually the result of cutting costs, i.e. using the same marketing people with the same ideas on a different product group.

    Maybe this branding is really meant for the AMD fanboys in the comment sections.
    I'm sure AMD has a marketing team and if they are doing their job they focused grouped the crap out of the name.
    I wonder who they surveyed, then. It must've been those jokers that enter "CTO" as occupation in the download form, when downloading their Radeon™ Pixelfucker™ Beta drivers.



  4. #284
    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    I think you underestimate the vanity of enterprise people.

    It's not that the name has to make sense, it's that it should convey an impression that is fitting. Ryzen™, Epyc™ and especially Threadripper™ convey the image of a fourteen-year-old shitposting in the Youtube comments, while consuming Doritos and Mountain Dew.

    They're on a slippery slope that leads right down to this:



    If the branding didn't really matter, why would they be spending time and effort on it? Maybe this is actually the result of cutting costs, i.e. using the same marketing people with the same ideas on a different product group.

    Maybe this branding is really meant for the AMD fanboys in the comment sections.

    I wonder who they surveyed, then. It must've been those jokers that enter "CTO" as occupation in the download form, when downloading their Radeon™ Pixelfucker™ Beta drivers.
    Well first. Threadripper is for enthusiasts. You know the same market that overspends on everything from gaming chairs to overpriced RAM. Threadripper will fit right in. Second your impression is kind of irrelevant as to what the enterprise market will or will not accept since they don't base their purchasing decisions on what it's called but what it can do.

    it sounds to me like you are trying too hard. Maybe the name was made to piss off Intel fanboys. Seems to be working.

    Let me elaborate a bit on the Threadripper comment. Threadripper is going after the same market as Intel's enthusiast market X99 soon to X299 range of chips. When the X99 Haswell-E chips were first released they were marketed almost exclusively to gamers and enthusiasts (there were more gamer mobos that workstation mobos for the most part). This is a market that will buy RAM called Ripjaw, Dominator, etc. The Mobo I bought for my X99 rig is called X99X Killer from ASRock. In that context Threadripper for the target market is right on point and will score AMD brownie points with that crowd at minimum. Epyc does sound a bit silly but again in the enterprise space the name doesn't matter.
    Last edited by apoclypse; 17-May-17 at 12:00.



  5. #285
    Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
    Second your impression is kind of irrelevant as to what the enterprise market will or will not accept since they don't base their purchasing decisions on what it's called but what it can do.
    I'm not saying that. They're not going to concsciously make a decision based just on the name. That doesn't mean the branding doesn't matter at all. It's still shitty branding which leaves a shitty aftertaste.

    Secondly, it is not true that purchasing is done purely on capabilities. Sure, the specs of the CPUs may look good on paper. But are they also as reliable as Intel CPUs? That's technically unproven. Intel has almost all the market share here, switching to AMD - even when it's x86 - would still be seen as somewhat of a risk. At that point, it's really important to give an impression of seriosity. This branding absolutely doesn't help here.

    it sounds to me like you are trying too hard. Maybe the name was made to piss off Intel fanboys. Seems to be working.
    I'm actually in the market for one of these fucking Threadrippers™, despite the name. If I was an Intel fanboy, I wouldn't be pissed off, I would be happily laughing at AMDs ridiculous branding. I want AMD to succeed. I want affordable many-core CPUs everywhere.



  6. #286
    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    I'm not saying that. They're not going to concsciously make a decision based just on the name. That doesn't mean the branding doesn't matter at all. It's still shitty branding which leaves a shitty aftertaste.

    Secondly, it is not true that purchasing is done purely on capabilities. Sure, the specs of the CPUs may look good on paper. But are they also as reliable as Intel CPUs? That's technically unproven. Intel has almost all the market share here, switching to AMD - even when it's x86 - would still be seen as somewhat of a risk. At that point, it's really important to give an impression of seriosity. This branding absolutely doesn't help here.


    I'm actually in the market for one of these fucking Threadrippers™, despite the name. If I was an Intel fanboy, I wouldn't be pissed off, I would be happily laughing at AMDs ridiculous branding. I want AMD to succeed. I want affordable many-core CPUs everywhere.
    I didn't say that purchasing was done purely and only on capability that is silly to say. Intel is a known force and if you ever heard the phrase "no one ever got fire for buying..." that applies to Intel in that space because at the moment that is the case. Yes AMD is unproven (now, they were gangbusters in the Opteron days) but I'm not concerned with whether AMD is successful in the server market because that is not what the conversation is about. What I was getting at is that the name is probably number 11 on the list of what to consider in a chip. You are trying to make it seem like your opinion (which it is only opinion, not fact unless you have actual data to back it up) is true across the board and that's simply not true. Enterprise level hardware purchasers have dealt with way worse naming schemes than Epyc and you don't have any indication that the name is reviled other than your point of view on the matter, which in the grand scheme of things doesn't really amount to much at this point (since the chips aren't even out yet so you have no data).

    On top of that who cares what the name is? Is it really that important? So much so that you have to take your time out of your day to post pics and ridicule it. AMD is trying to find a memorable name, you are not going to forget Threadripper that's for sure. The fact that they got a reaction out of you even if it's negative means that the marketing worked as intended. It got your attention and and now you can't stop talking about it. So kudos to AMD's marketing team, they nailed it. By giving their chips such polarizing names they ensured that even if it's fanboy warring on a forum AMD is still part of the conversation. That seems pretty successful to me.



  7. #287
    Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
    I didn't say...
    ... you said the name didn't matter. I say the name matters. Branding matters. I'm not saying it's the most important thing in the world. Let's end it there.

    On top of that who cares what the name is? Is it really that important? So much so that you have to take your time out of your day to post pics and ridicule it.
    I would take time out of my day to make fun of this branding simply because it amuses me. However, this one goes deeper. It's not just about the name or even the branding of the CPUs. I don't really care that much about the CPU branding per se.

    This is part of a bigger trend, a conspiracy of terrible branding and design aimed at what is decided to be the taste of the PC enthusiast by the industrial design mafia. Whenever I want to buy a PC case or a laptop with decent graphics, I am confronted by this. Unless I'm shelling out lots of extra cash for a "Lian Li" or "Razer Blade", that stuff really does look like it came straight out of a Transformer movie. If people don't start feeling ashamed of their terrible terrible taste, how will it ever stop?

    AMD is trying to find a memorable name, you are not going to forget Threadripper that's for sure. The fact that they got a reaction out of you even if it's negative means that the marketing worked as intended.
    Yes, I'll always remember how those marketing people at AMD trolled me into posting a few comments on Blenderartists about their stupid product name. It truly is my Waterloo.



  8. #288
    Member Ace Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wichita Kansas (USA)
    Posts
    27,658
    Seriously, unless the name is profane and/or offensive, it's a trivial matter at most because the capability and novelty of a product tends to have a much greater effect.

    Why do such small things lead you to spend hours of your time arguing on the internet, it makes you seem no better than those who spend their days participating in flamewars on news sites and YouTube (while doing almost nothing else, at least nothing that is productive).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook



  9. #289
    Seriously, unless the name is profane and/or offensive, it's a trivial matter at most because the capability and novelty of a product tends to have a much greater effect.
    I don't know about you, but I find using a y in place of an i pretty offensive.

    Originally Posted by Ace Dragon View Post
    Why do such small things lead you to spend hours of your time arguing on the internet, it makes you seem no better than those who spend their days participating in flamewars on news sites and YouTube (while doing almost nothing else, at least nothing that is productive).
    Catharsis. I'm doing the Lord's work here. It doesn't even take that much time. You have almost 30,000 posts on these forums. Should you be the one to cast the first stone?



  10. #290
    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    ... you said the name didn't matter. I say the name matters. Branding matters. I'm not saying it's the most important thing in the world. Let's end it there.
    No but you did try to imply that AMD had no business sense because of the name of the product they choose to use, which is inane to say the least, especially when you have no data to corroborate that other than your opinion or "gut feeling". You are using the argument that you feel like what you are saying is true thus it must be true. You keep saying that the branding is bad, but again that's just your opinion. I personally don't mind it.

    Look people like things that you don't like. It's not a conspiracy. It just a difference in opinion. On top of that despite what you might think, that stuff sells, and sells well at high margins. People actually want transformer like cases and red tinged ram, LEDs that light up like a disco ball, crazy "gamer" names, you name it. Consumers are into it right now. In-fact the gaming sector is one of the few sectors in the PC market that has shown growth within that last few years and it only shows signs of increasing.



  11. #291
    Member Ace Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wichita Kansas (USA)
    Posts
    27,658
    Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    Catharsis. I'm doing the Lord's work here. It doesn't even take that much time. You have almost 30,000 posts on these forums. Should you be the one to cast the first stone?
    And why do you claim any sort of authority that is necessary to say it when the content of your posts (such as abundant profanity in cases) suggests an assumption he doesn't exist?

    You don't like the name, fine, but arguing endlessly about it in the hopes people will come to agreement will ultimately go nowhere (so please let this thread be about the actual chips).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook



  12. #292
    Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
    No but you did try to imply that AMD had no business sense because of the name of the product they choose to use...
    What I actually said:
    "If people talk about how dumb their enterprise branding is, the next step is to question their business sense."

    Take a look this person:


    If I told you that guy is a lawyer in his work outfit, would you claim that his choice of apparel doesn't raise questions towards his competence as a lawyer? He may be the best lawyer in the world, for what it's worth.

    ...which is inane to say the least, especially when you have no data to corroborate that other than your opinion or "gut feeling". You are using the argument that you feel like what you are saying is true thus it must be true. You keep saying that the branding is bad, but again that's just your opinion. I personally don't mind it.
    No shit. Of course it's my opinion. Of course some people with abominable taste will love this branding. Obviously, nobody in the marketing department at AMD resigned in protest, as they should have.

    Look people like things that you don't like. It's not a conspiracy. It just a difference in opinion. On top of that despite what you might think, that stuff sells, and sells well at high margins.
    Of course that stuff sells, because a lot of people have terrible taste. Millions of people watch "The Kardashians" as well, that doesn't mean it's any good. However, it is evident that this design aesthetic dominates the lower price ranges. If you want tasteful, minimalist design, you somehow need to pay a premium, even though such designs are *less complicated*. It must be a conspiracy to force people in the higher price brackets.

    Originally Posted by Ace Dragon
    please let this thread be about the actual chips
    Fair enough. Discuss:



  13. #293
    BA Crew Fweeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    9,439
    Moderation: This is becoming a semantics debate. Please get back to the main topic. If you have nothing to say on the matter, then perhaps it's best to leave the thread be.



  14. #294
    Funny thread. Would lol again.

    Could I get a nick change to Pixelfucker™ ? Or at least first dibs on. Thanks.



  15. #295
    I think the CPU is nice.



  16. #296
    Anywho. I'm hoping Threadripper will hit 3.6, and about 4.0 on overclock. Let's also see if Intel responds with lower prices instead of completely nonsensical i5 in the HEDT range. Why Intel, why?



  17. #297
    Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
    Anywho. I'm hoping Threadripper will hit 3.6, and about 4.0 on overclock. Let's also see if Intel responds with lower prices instead of completely nonsensical i5 in the HEDT range. Why Intel, why?
    How about two CPUs on one motherboard. One CPU is clocked at 10GHz but only has one core and the other one has 40 cores @ 1GHz. /s


    I don't get this 0.1GHz wars. If you are rendering a masterpiece or an animation then rendering 31 days with 3.7GHz or 30 days @ 4.0 GHz doesn't really matter. Like Jackie Chan said "Movies are forever".

    Also just look at the advancements Blender has made the last year. Even a dual core can render relative fast with denoiser and simplify.

    Intel vs AMD right now is like in The art of war.

    “Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.”
    ― Sun Tzu

    “All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.”
    ― Sun Tzu

    Good for us
    I can only give suggestions, personal opinions and constructive critique, but it is your decision what you do with it.



  18. #298
    Originally Posted by bigbad View Post
    How about two CPUs on one motherboard. One CPU is clocked at 10GHz but only has one core and the other one has 40 cores @ 1GHz.
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but this is a legit question. You can't trade off cores for clockrate arbitrarily. Intel planned to get the Pentium 4 architecture (still singlecore) near 10Ghz, but they soon figured out physics won't play along. On top of that, it's not all about clockrate - AMDs lower-clocked architecture was much faster clock-per-clock.

    Secondly, you still want multiple cores for multiple processes. In a way, we actually do have this sort of architecture: A fast quadcore with turbo-clocks up to 4.5Ghz, plus a GPU with maybe a dozen "cores" at 1-2Ghz. You can also have Knight's Ferry AIB with a bunch of x86 cores instead.

    Either way, software has to support all this. This is a hen-egg problem. No installed base means no incentive for software developers, no software means no incentive for hardware purchasing. It all slowly develops from what's already there. We did get GPGPU because we already had GPUs.

    The "next step" in computing could be programmable hardware. Intel already supports FPGA features in some of their Xeon models. Unfortunately, I don't see how this would arrive in cheap consumer hardware. The mass market pretty much has everything it needs right now.

    “Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.”
    ― Sun Tzu
    AMD is a public company, everybody knows they're weak. The question is rather whether AMD can survive. Intel actually has an interest in keeping them alive, otherwise antitrust procedures could force Intel to split up.



  19. #299
    Member Ace Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wichita Kansas (USA)
    Posts
    27,658
    AMD's new BIOS update is almost ready and will mean support for RAM speeds up to 4GHz.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11447/...sa-1006-update

    Reportedly, this will allow for a significant boost in areas where Ryzen is currently weaker than Intel (which is in gaming). That also indicates it could give a nice boost in single-core speeds as well which may finally make that area very competitive with Intel (providing you try to get the fastest possible memory).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook



Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •