Looking for strong feedback

Hello everyone !

As you know, we’re very close to the deadline of the Christmas challenge by Mr Price, and i wanted to share my work in order to get feedback, especially on the composition and lightning choice, because i usually stop my project right before those steps. Feel free to tell anything that come to your mind ! Thank you :yes:

EDIT : Low sample because it’s not the final render, that is going to take me 3 hours !

Attachments

Add some falling snow and make the lights blurrier.

I suggest you go and do a google image search for something like shop fronts at night. The lighting should be there to entice you with its magical appearance as you stand in a wet miserable street. Your shop lighting is pretty flat and dull and the objects are not appealing. Your lights look pretty white, tungsten bulbs would give a more orange warming colour. Give it some atmosphere

a store front display NEEDS!!! to in the first 3 seconds MAKE you want to go in
it NEEDS to GRAB your attention

this is ?? well
" meh"

Cool idea ! Thank you

Pretty much what i’ve done, maybe i haven’t looked them well… Thanks for the help, i’ll sure change the lights !

Thank you very much for your reply ! I was more aiming at a little bit ancien and handcrafted toy store style, i didn’t wanted to do too much “marketing thing” and was aiming at a “classy” look. But i guess you’re right, this isn’t very believable.

interior light should be yellowish/warm while exterior blue as you have now. It’s highly complimentary

Hi,
This looks good, though I have some suggestions:

1. Make the image MUCH more string by cropping it, getting rid of the unnecessary distractions.
  2. I will make the red and blue just a little more powerful.

The one issue I see is that the person seems to be peering at a blank red surface. There’s no focus for the gaze, and it makes the scene feel a little empty. But I do like the more cropped look.

Nooo, the distractions were OK! What you need is shadows! Lotsa shadows!
Make the clock store’s clocks just kinda visible. Anything else must have cold color lights and shadowy vibe while the toy store should be the only one in warm color lights and mellow cozy vibe
The glass must have some kind of relection, make the other part of the street or add an image to the material’s reflection
Change the letters font to something more circus-like
Make the lights in string yellow
Add some people walking in the cold street (if you have time)

Hope it helps :smiley:

Should not every scene, picture, art have a defined focus point?!?
One of the first questions the judge (Andrew Price) will ask is: “So… What am i supposed to be looking at?”
And if you have seen Andrew Price’s tutorials, you will know that he WANTS a focus point! No distractions.

Though having some more shadows is not a bad idea :slight_smile:

It’s definitely a great start. If it were my image I would try to add some special lighting. Currently, it looks like the only lights you have are the practical ones in the scene. Try going more theatrical with a spotlight on the person to bring them out more (from an off-screen streetlight?). The picture tells a good story but it doesn’t read quickly. You could go even closer, put the Toy Store logo on the glass and move the ‘Closed for Christmas’ sign on a placard in the window. As it is, I didn’t even see that sign until I started writing this.

I look forward to seeing what you do with this. Merry Christmas.

Blurfoot.

The distraction is telling a story. The neighborhood is crappy. If you crop we have no story.

I know it’s too late but here is my critique.

I did a quick photoshop so you can see what might be missing to make your piece more dynamic:

Eyes drift from the cold streets and are pulled towards the cozy toy store, then when the boy’s profile is noticed the story is told. Outside lights and clocks feels like delightful bonuses and the less important places are shadowy, but fit so nicely.
Me love it :smiley:
The flared aura the lights and lit things have are the special touch nobody remembered but looks so great! :wink:

Would you ever care to give this project some love again? We’d like to see some render of the comunity’s team work at brainstorming