Custom shortcut for box marquee selection

Hi,

If I have to select something with dragging the mouse by creating a box marquee , I have to first press "B" then drag and select. How can I change it to default mouse drag and select?

Regards,
Priyankar

i did some testing, and im sorry to tell you that i do not believe that is possible without a 3rd party addon.

Best result i could get is going to the User Preference, Input, Search “view3d.select_border”, set it to Left Mouse Button, and set it to “release”. that way, if you CLICK, you will get up the border select, or “box marquee”, and you have to click again to confirm the box selection.

Honestly, having to press B is not a big deal, we actually dont use box select that much.

It is the default behaviour in 3DS Max. You can enable it by selecting the 3DS Max interaction set on the splash:-

Of course that might not be convenient if you don’t want all the other keys remapped as well :slight_smile:

Scroll down in your settings and change the border select to look like this.

Attachments

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The max/maya preset does not stand a  chance as the entire shortcut doesn't match. in fact that become more  complicated. Well I think I have no choice other than adopt the Blenders  own keyshots. LOVE hurts ... you know ... LOLZ ... 

Regards,
Priyankar

priyankar, you can check out my custom setup as well. It keeps a lot of the Blender defaults intact while adding a more standardized approach to selections. Also uses Maya ALT-Style navigation. I’da say it’s betetr than the Maya/Max ones that come packed with Blender.

Even if you don’t like it, you can reverse engineer through that setup and find how to setup the box select to LMB on your own.

You can use my suggestion as I posted above. It has all Blender shortcuts, but only that one is changed. Every time you hold down the left mouse button in the 3D view you will border select, just like Max. Thinking of doing it myself. Everything else works the same.

I really appreciate your help. I already tried that out. The problem I faced was with the deselct . Generally in other softwares if we click on the blank area , it will deselect all unless we locked it. so I have to press A two times to do the same, which is putting me in the same situation.

Thanks for the link I will definitely going to try that one.:yes:

I have this functionality in my setup.
It’s a separate hotkey you need to setup in order to make it work. This will not conflict with the regular click select, or the marque select (that you additionally setup). All 3 of those commands can coexist on the same (LMB) key.

You’d need to add a new item in 3D View > 3D View (Global)
Use this command
view3d.select_or_deselect_all

Another alternate key setup I can recommend that installs as an addon is rSelection Addon by PLyczkowski.

Like my setup, it’s LMB-centric and has a more ‘normal’ selection scheme.

Hmmmm Its seems that I need to go through a lot of different option now … It seems an ocean itself … Anyway … I LOVE to do that …