A Pure Driving Experience

Hi!

I like to introduce you to my current project of creating a small sportscar similar to a typical Lotus. I’m using blender for about three months now so I’ve decided to show you what I’ve done so far and try to learn more from you!

The key element of this concept is driving. Therefore, nothing should prevent the driver from focusing on the road and being connected to the machine. This philosophy should be represented by both the interior as well as the exterior. I want to create an atlethic design, which should be minimalistic while keeping usable for everyday.

In the near future I’m going to recreate everythingto make it more agressive and futuristic, while adding more details and a full detailed interior. What do you think?

Thank you for visiting :slight_smile:

Attachments

Actually pretty impresive :yes:. I quite like the design and how you present it. The car looks both futuristic and realistic in the way that it could actually be on the market one time, even though the wheels might be a little bit too big, and you might have to add some more panel lines in the front, it would be pretty impossible to build it like that, and you would loose some boot space (or is there an aerodynamic reason for the lack of it?). The only thing that looks a bit off to me is the geometry on the rear bumper just behind the wheels. Might also be the lighting though.
It’s great you are able to do something like this after only three months, or have you been working on 3d before?

Thank you for replying!
I used Google SketchUp for some years before I found Blender, so I had some practice with 3D-software :wink:
You’re right with the rear, I now see what you mean. The car itself should be very small, that’s why the wheels seem very big, they are actually 19 inch. I thought it would be possible to make only one piece for the front, because I saw this at the Aston Martin DB10, and I haven’t really planned to have a boot there. I’m always trying to keep it simple :stuck_out_tongue:

Those are some sketches of the updated design. It looks quite similar to the old one, kind of a facelift, but the overall proportions are alot different to make it more agressive.

Afterwards I modeled a low-poly model to keep the proportions while modeling the final surfaces.

Good to see the wip I hope you keep updating here with the redesign I like to follow along, it is great to see how things evolve.

I like what you are doing with the front shapes, but it seems a little short from the front wheels sort like its been hit and pushed in, if that makes sense?

Great to see the drawings you have a lot a talent good luck with this!

I just finished modeling the bodywork, which will get the paintjob. I decided to roughly model just one piece, apply a subsurf on it, and then add details such as metal thickness and panel gaps. So here are some quick images showing how far I’ve got. I’m kind of uncertain about the topology, so I want to know, whether I can apply the subdivision, cause there is no way back since then:eek:

A quick glimpse at the parts im currently working on: The backwindow and the carbon-fibre monocoque :smiley:

Incredible

Very well done!

Also, how do you get that wireframe? great way of showing it off.

Thank you all!

It is named ‘Freestyle Edge’ and adds the lines you want to your rendered image (Select the edges you want to make visible, then do Strg+E and set ‘Mark Freestyle Edge’. In your Render settings you need to turn on ‘Freestyle’ and in your Render Layer you need to select ‘Edge Mark’, which you can find under ‘Freestyle Line Set’. Hope you can understand it, otherwise you’ll find some good Tutorials out there : )

By the way, I started designing the suspension parts, which will be visible through all the holes in the front and the back:cool:

Thanks man! Will check it out. Though I will not add it at the current time as I dont feel my topology is good enough, haha.

Anyways, keep up the good work! Excited to see the rest.

interessting workflow :slight_smile:

I really like the design. I love the wires. You were obviously thinking about how the shape flowed while you were sketching. The edge flow just makes it look smart. I didn’t know Freestyle was that good. I only played with it a couple years ago, in the internal renderer.

Thank you!

Sadly my holidays are over so I’m becoming very busy, but I have made a quick render to show you my progress.
I’m currently working on the carbon-fibre monocoque and the suspension parts. I have never modeled hard-surface parts in Blender before, and I have never thought about how the suspension of a car looks like, so please forgive me if I’m working very slow :spin:

Amazing work!

Hi there, I like to give you a quick update on this project!

I’m currently working on the interior and the carbon-fibre monocoque. Right now I’m trying to figure out how the door openes. The strongly arched shape of the door makes it very hard to find a proper solution:spin:

Also I want to show you the steering wheel, I have modeled. What do you think of it?