Rate Sculpting skill

Learning Sculpting in Blender, any critique is welcomed

reference - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JbDwd

Comparing to the reference, that’s a good start. I guess you just started understanding what goes were in anatomy, but it’s good so far.

A good tip I’d give is: your reference is hard for beginners. Cartoonish art is a stylized vision of the world around, isn’t based on real world light, shadows and forms, which are the base for Blender and - I believe - for 3D visuals in general.
Learn realistic anatomy first and go to cartoon only after, if you do this in this sequence you’ll know which exagerations and which forms you should give to your models to be cartoonish and at the same time look good under 3D lights

That is a hard start! translating a 2d cartoon character in to a 3d cartoon character must be hard!!!
You maybe have more luck using actual 3d cartoon characters as reference. Because they work for sure. But not all 2d character can go easy to 3d.
Anyhow, just ditch the hair because you are missing completely the shape of the head and neck, Then put the hair again.
Look up this name: sternocleidomastoid and see pictures of it. also clavicle, and also the cigomatic bone.

And if you want to go deeper please search for Andrew Loomis, you can download his books from the web. They are just the best to learn human anatomy for artist, is not for sculpting, but it is fundamental.

Good Luck!

Hi,

Really thanks for the Feedback, the reason i took cartoonish image is not to get demotivated if the result does not turn out accurate, Most of the time i try to sculpt something i quit half way through it, when reference and sculpt does not matchup. I just wanted to finish something. To make a habit of it.

HI,

It was really shock when i saw your feedback, the reason i even started was when i saw your Human proportion post a couple of weeks ago, i actually went checked the intro 3d artist tutorial you mentioned in the post, since the tutorial is in Spanish i couldn’t understand. I wanted to sculpt my own face with the help of anatomy, after reading for couple hours on different websites, took a break and never went back to it. as posted above i wanted to start a project and finish it. as you said I will probably start reading Andrew Loomis book. Thanks for the feedback Legend.

Hehehe, if it is sculpting, and if it is a humanoid character you will have comments from me!!! for sure! hehe I’m so glad that you get inspired by my tread in human proportions, and about that, you really should study them, you will become a loooooot good faster than you think, Once you master the “proper” proportions you will be able to go outside the box with much more luck. As much a character resembles a human, the more appeal will have, that’s why I think a lot of masters insist in the realistic human form and proportions.

Anyhow, you should finish this!!! just keep going, I can help you if you want, I love to critic hehe.
And don’t forget to LOOK at the references, I see that you do a lot from memory. PLEASE LOOK at the references more time that the time you spend sculpting.

Two things stand out. One is on a person the front of the ear is aligned with the back of the jaw where the jaw line comes up, so you should aim to move the ear back (it is usually the front of the rear third measuring front to back). And the neck. In people there are two muscles that come down from either side of the neck starting just under the ear/jaw area and terminating on the clavicles where they intersect with the sternum, this forms a hollow there. While the shading from the front view here sort of makes it look correct you’ve actually got a bulge there just above where the hollow occurs.

Andrew Loomis books are great :slight_smile: And learning to draw will help you a lot, since it improves your ability to see things in three dimensions (oddly enough). I always draw before I do anything in blender, at least with the grease pencil. If you want to improve you knowledge of anatomy, I’d recommend (beware: nudity is present, at least somewhat, on every site) Proko.com for excellent video tutorials and practical drawing tips and onairvideo.com (which has in the eLibrary section at the bottom, PDFs of many books, including two Loomis books). Let’s see, some more things to look at may be anatomy4sculptors.com, and some of Scott Eaton’s photography (he is an extremely talented digital artist in his own right, and he made the photos as a study of motion as an homage to Eadweard Muybridge).

Heh… I was stuck on the same trap these days. Who knew cartoon is a step harder than realism, eh?
By the way, you don’t need to make things exactly as the references, you can use them as inspiration.
A great way to make an habit of it and evade procrastination is to keep working a little on the project everyday, like this we learn a lot and eventualy finish